Winter 100

61 to 80 of 244 messages
08/09/2012 at 11:32

I expect that those Icebreaker long sleeve merino wool jumpers would also  be pretty handy for this job. 

GKD
10/09/2012 at 16:15
Well did the first recce run yesterday of the northern spur of the Ridgeway and a couple of things struck me early off. Well three things actually. Firstly I can imagine people having some difficulty finding the trail heads coming out of streatley and heading off on the various legs. The first one should be fine but after that I can imagine carnage as a variety of runners approach and leave from/to a variety of directions.
Secondly I'm not sure what I was expecting but I was surprised at how flat it is. It's all perfectly runnable and that may cause some issues as there really aren't natural walking breaks, you'll have to manage your pacing accordingly.
And lastly the times and how miserable a day it is will depend massively on the weather. A crisp winters day after a spell of cold but dry weather and I'd say we're looking at a sub 17 hr time, if it's wet then it'll be a horrible day for everyone, the path I ran will be a quagmire and you'll do well to keep your shoes on you for the full leg
GKD
WiB
10/09/2012 at 16:32

For the sake of the peice of string race lets hope for the latter

WiB
10/09/2012 at 19:58

Was it easy to follow Li?

Not so sure about 17hrs, my physio reckons with my Achilles problem he can patch me up but it will be a "just get round" kinda race.

10/09/2012 at 20:28

Not doing this race but have spent many many hours of day and sometimes into the wee small hours of the night on the Ridgeway path around that area in distant past (50 mile hike challenge repeated for many years in February) and totally agree with Lirish's thoughts on the conditions and it's effect. If it's been wet then it will be a complete quagmire and no shoe will be 'best', it will totally mash your feet - nothing like sucking mud to pull your shoes around and create blisters, BUT yes, when it's frozen or dry it's an absolute delight to yomp along!  Enjoy!!! I seem to recall a few inclines, but definitely nothing especially significant ...

GKD
10/09/2012 at 21:17
Dill I've only done one part of it so far but it was surprisingly easy to follow, having read a couple of times the Ridgeway path was sparsely signed I found it quite the opposite. What made it easier than both the SDW and the NDW is that it didn't have offshoot paths and wide open meadows every few hundred yards. The path was the path, a very obvious trail and where it met junctions or other paths there was a very obvious sux foot sign in good repair. I have to say I was quite impressed with it
GKD
17/09/2012 at 14:09

No checking it out at the check point for me  as I'm away but I have run bits of the Ridgeway and supported Druids Ultra and I think it is fairly well marked most of the way. Although I managed to go wrong on the Ridgeway Relay this year..have only run that stage 3 times before!

Having check point withdrawal symptoms

pmo
01/10/2012 at 18:08

Anyone up for some 'bloke in the pub' type training advice? I'm running Caesars Camp 30 as a training run for this, but should I really stick it out and do the 50? My thoughts are I could use this to thoroughly test my pacing, nutrition, and gear choices, and still have plenty of time to recover.

Thanks in advance

pmo
01/10/2012 at 19:04
If its going to be your longest training run I'd probably opt for the 50 don't be tempted to race it though keep the pace nice and slow. Hoping to do a 50 myself on the same day but seem to have picked up my usual pre race niggle
01/10/2012 at 20:10

See you at Caesars - I'm having a pop at the 100 and will be doing it very slowly

pmo
01/10/2012 at 21:13

Cheers Andy AFCB, no chance of me racing it. I'm thinking of starting with the Midnight 30 to get a long night run in too, which should help keep the speed down. Hope the niggle passes, and you make it to the start line. See you there veggieboy

pmo
14/10/2012 at 19:48

How's everyones prep going? I'm well on the road back from injury but have now been struck with man flu. It never rains it pours.

Done Clarendon mara last week, got Greensands next week and Snowdon the week after that. Might do two recce weekends in November and that'll be me ready.

14/10/2012 at 21:03
Very poor for me - on the verge of dropping out - haven't had a proper run for 3 weeks now due to a hip problem.

Hoping to get some runs in this week or its a DNS for me
pmo
14/10/2012 at 21:09

Enjoyed Clarendon myself, but accidentally packed only caffiene gels so went a little too quick and was sore til Wednesday - better now though . Realy enjoyed the course, and the weather was perfect.

Caesars Camp 30 or 50 for me this weekend. Looking forward to it, but looks like it'll be wet.

pmo
WiB
14/10/2012 at 21:29

pmo - 30 or 50?! make sure you turn up at the correct 12:00 if you want to run the 50

I wont be running the Winter 100, concentrating on another 100 a few weeks after but will be there helping out to complete a grand slam of volunteering  

WiB
14/10/2012 at 21:40

What 100 would that be out of curiosity?

Is there a special buckle for those who complete the volunteering slam?

WiB
14/10/2012 at 21:50

Rocky Raccoon 100 Ben.

No buckle... Look forward to actually running one of the races though!

WiB
14/10/2012 at 22:25

100 mile PB coming up then!

WiB
14/10/2012 at 22:36
That's the plan!
WiB
pmo
15/10/2012 at 18:59

WiB - you can add two laps to the end of the 30, if so inclined. That's my plan, then if the weather is terrible/I knacker myself, at least I've finished something.

It's going to be awfully tempting not to continue though I'm sure...

pmo
61 to 80 of 244 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.