Winter 100

81 to 100 of 244 messages
15/10/2012 at 23:22

20 miles over Dartmoor today. Training going ok but not as structured as I would like. Is it just me but there,s no way I could stick to a proper training plan.

I run when I can and hope to get to the starting in reasonable shape line without being divorced!

Edited: 15/10/2012 at 23:24
16/10/2012 at 20:52

Ian i agree training plans are not the ultra runners way. Run cause you love running. It never gets dull that way.

Gotta shake this crappy man flu before Sunday. Really wanna run Greensands mara but throat feels like i've got a razor blade stuck in it.

Ooo Rocky Racoon. V jealous WiB

WiB
16/10/2012 at 21:15

Nice one pmo... I don't think I could bury myself for 30 miles then tag another 20!

I am very excited about it Dill. My first race abroad!

WiB
16/10/2012 at 21:44

So many great races overseas. So bloody expensive though. I'm entering a couple next year and will cane the credit card if i get in. Don't understand how people afford to race abroad every year.

I must be doing something wrong. I'm skint..

Are you making a holiday of it or just going for the race?

WiB
16/10/2012 at 22:18
Pretty much just out for the race. Get there thur, race sat, fly back Monday. I would like to go out for another later in the year but that depends solely on cash! I am happy to do one
WiB
17/10/2012 at 20:40

Yea I've really gotta get out more. Even if i don't get in any of my "A" races next year i'll travel abroad for one of the big ones. 40 next year so got to celebrate somehow.

GKD
17/10/2012 at 23:08
I'll make a decision this weekend on whether I'm still in for this or not, the same groin injury that's plagued me for months has meant my weekly mileage has been less than half of what it should have been for some time now, I'll try another long run this weekend and make a final decision then
GKD
WiB
18/10/2012 at 09:11

Lirish... stop hurting yourself before races! Hope you are ok to run mate.

WiB
18/10/2012 at 13:06
Looks like I'm out hip pain has mean I've only managed a total of 10 miles in the last 4 weeks. - I've booked a self contained studio in streatley for the fri sat and sun, at ??60 a night. I've paid ??60 deposit. If anyone would like to take it please message me - obviously I don't want anything for it.
GKD
18/10/2012 at 13:36
Believe me WiB I wish I could. It's the same problem as I had before the SDW the difference being at least then I had a decent basis of training behind me, at the moment I've done bugger all.
I did 30 on the ridgeway on Monday just to feel how things were and though it was painful I got through it, the problem was the fitness wasn't great. I'll go out again this weekend and do something between 30 an 50 if I ican and make a decision then. Worst case at least I'll help out an aid station for the day
Sorry to hear about your problems Andy, do you know what the issue is?
GKD
18/10/2012 at 13:50
I've been to the physio twice and she's saying that because all the muscles in especially in my left leg are so tight , it's aggravated the muscles around my hip. She's given me loads of stretching to do but it's taking longer than expected to heal. Not sure about the diagnosis as it seems a bit extreme to take me out for so long.

I hope your issues subside Lirish and that you have a good run at the winter 100!
GKD
18/10/2012 at 15:03
That doesn't sound right Andy, have you been to a decent sports masseuse? If you're anywhere near London I can recommend an absolute miracle worker, he's been fantastic in getting me ready for races where my Physio just left me doing exercises for months on end
GKD
18/10/2012 at 19:05
I've been advised to see one but haven't got round to it yet - Londons a bit far for me I'm up in Gateshead ! Will see if I can get a good one round here. Need to sort something out I'm not much fun to be around when I can't run!
18/10/2012 at 20:18

Went out at dusk last night and forgot my torch. Still went same dark route and turned my ankle on a kerb, landed face first in the main road. Was running at  a fair pace at the time, still picking the tarmac out of my hands. My knee has a lump on it like an egg. Real sore today so no run tonight.

I'll be happy to toe the line next month in one piece.

Sorry to hear your out Andy thats a real blow.

I'm sure you'll be there Li your fitness couldn't be worse than mine. You should try some Hokas, they really helped my injury riddled body . Can't wear them for short fast runs but for lenghty runs the impact on your body seems greatly reduced. Lost both big toenails but no sore joints

GKD
18/10/2012 at 23:25
Andy get a recommendation as soon as you can and get down there, I know it doesn't sound like it but my guy has kept me running for far longer than I deserve to be because he's so good. For what you've described it sounds like a sports massage would help, whether it'd help enough to get you to the start line I don't know.
Dill you need to wrap yourself up for the next five weeks, you've trashed yourself enough this year to risk anymore damage. Apart from the fall are you holding together ok? Three hundreds this year is pretty tough going.
I'll make it down there in some shape, whether it's helping out or shuffling off the start line I'm not sure yet.
GKD
19/10/2012 at 05:46

My participation is entirely dependent upon

1) how bad Caesars Camp 100 is this weekend (in terms of a) fininishing and b) foot damage)

and

2) the fact I haven't told the wife yet !

So as long as 1) isn't too bad I may be in the market for jewellery (again)

20/10/2012 at 14:04

Telling your family members that you are going to run 100 miles always poses some interesting problems. 

20/10/2012 at 18:44

Not too bad Li.. The Achilles tendinitis has been a real bind, my fitness level is out the window at the moment. Greensands mara tomorrow so still banging in some mileage just not as much as i'd like.

What's with the hip? Is it the same problem you had before the SDW?

Regarding the wife situation i've been lucky mine crews for me. Not so sure she will be so understanding about next year though. If i get in my A races it's going to get expensive.

GKD
20/10/2012 at 19:00
Yeah it's the same thing, just can't seem to shake it. Physio seems to thnk it may be Gilmores groin which is a type of hernia but it's not presenting exactly like it, whatever it is it's a pain in the arse. Like you fitness is in the toilet but we'll see what happens tomorrow, I'll try for a long run and see how it goes. Good luck with greensands.
I know what you mean about the expenses and how to explain it, my wife looks at my dozen pairs of running shoes and the same again packs and jackets and doesn't seem to understand they each fit a specific running criteria as for the A races I bet we're looking towards the same ones next year, UTMB and States for you too?
GKD
20/10/2012 at 19:52
Thanks for the support guys - I've got an appointment booked for next week. Looking ahead I'm hoping to run my 'next first' 100 miler having just got myself onto the waiting list for sdw100!
81 to 100 of 244 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.