Winter 100

101 to 120 of 244 messages
20/10/2012 at 21:04

Yep you got it UTMB and WS. It will be mega money to do both but there's the small matter of gaining entry first.

Feels weird not being able to plan anything for next year on the off chance that i may get in either of these events. I would usually have next year planned by now.

What has caused friction at home is my reluctance to book a holiday untill i know about my races. A wife that has not got their holiday booked is not a happy wife. I hear Chamonix is nice in August or even California in June

GKD
20/10/2012 at 22:47
Chamonix is gorgeous in August, high twenties when I was there last year. Mind you it wasn't quite so nice over 8000 ft
I know I have UTMB entry guaranteed as I missed out in the ballot this year and in the likely event I don't get into states I'll do the Laverdo ultra trail instead so at least I have a fair idea what I'm doing next year
GKD
21/10/2012 at 18:07

Greensands done and it was lovely. Great race, one of the best. Plenty of mud, hills and a beautiful trail it don't really get better than that. Only problem is my Achilles feels a tad sore. Very worrying. I'll give it a couple of days but may have to blow out Snowdon mara next week. Gutted i've been looking forward to it.

Li Lavaredo is on my to do list too. Looks gorgeous and i've never been to Italy. I have also got an entry going into the GUCR so there are options. Lucky you having UTMB guaranteed. V jealous.

GKD
21/10/2012 at 20:12
Good you enjoyed greensand but don't take any risks with your Achilles, don't spoil the chance of success in a 100 for what's essentially a training marathon.
My day has raised more questions than it answered unfortunately, I had planned to run two legs of the race this morning but I just couldn't get out of bed, absolutely shattered for o reason that I can see. So early afternoon I decided to run a portion of the Thames path which is less than half a mile from my house, I figured one part of it is much the same as the next. The first twenty miles I felt absolutely fine even though it was horrible going in road shoes, miserable weather but all good practice but the next ten miles the wheels came off, my hip was a constant embuggerance but for that distance manageable, not sure how it'd cope with another 70 though. What was really a shame was that I just had nothing in the tank, no energy at all. Now whether that's because I've done bugger all running since SDW, literally less than a third of my normal mileage of because I'd done another 30 miler last Monday I don't know, I'd hate to miss this one out but at the moment the chances of me finishing never mind putting in a decent performance aren't high
GKD
21/10/2012 at 20:42

Sorry to hear your struggling. Good and bad days are part and parcel of our sport. I felt like crap at Clarenden two weeks ago yet today i could have turned round and run it again.

Your hip doesn't sound good at all, injury sucks big time. Be a shame if you don't make the race. I will be toeing the line come hell or high water. My Achilles will have to snap for me not to make it. I have to get that grand slam i don't want to have to do it again. I need to move on. I'll take 30 hours if need be.

GKD
21/10/2012 at 23:41
I'm sure you'll make it comfortably within that mate, twanging tendon or not.

I'm not sure what to do, I guess I'll keep plugging away for another week or two and see how things go, I won't be happy with just plodding around though, after my disappointment at the SDW I really wanted a decent performance and that's just not going to happen, whether I'm mentally strong enough just to accept it'll be a painful 30 hour death march I don't know, I have a feeling my pride won't let me do it
GKD
GKD
27/10/2012 at 16:50
Well 16 done on the Thames path done today, still painful but just neither here nor there at the moment to let me make the decision with finality. Think I may have passed veggieboy though down near Richmond?
GKD
27/10/2012 at 17:35

At least your running Li you can leave it a while yet before deciding. I had to blow out Snowdon today, too risky for my ankle. Niggle has been there all week so i'm takin a couple of weeks off just to be safe.

Swam 1k and cycled 20 mile this morning. Doesn't hit the spot like a run though. Don't want to lose too much fitness so x training every day from here on in.

What is a bit of a worry is shoe choice. My Hokas are my firm favorite at the moment but they are very flat so aggravate my Achilles as do my Brooks. So it may have to be my roadies come race day.

GKD
27/10/2012 at 20:42
True there is that, I just wish the decision was a little more clear cut.
Anyway it's wise for you to rest your Achilles as best you can for a while, whilst biking isn't going to give you the same exercise as running the work has been done by now and it certainly isn't worth risking all by the marginal comfort another couple of weeks on your feet would give you.
As for feet choice it'll really depend on the weather as to what suits best, if it's wet then road shoes will still be ok for all but a little of the Thames path but a complete embuggerance on parts of the ridgeway, if it's dry or below freezing wear what you like, it'll be a quick race if it is
GKD
28/10/2012 at 05:11

Lirish

Not me mate, I had a quick run round Bushy Park early doors but I'm still taking it easy after 50 miles at CC last weekend

Will be ramping it back up again this week though

Hope the various niggles sort themselves out. I am currently trying to avoid the severe case of man flu that my 8 yr old son has got 

29/10/2012 at 14:26
Can't wait to crew this one I'm going to be doing a couple of the aid stations so will see you all there as long as you all make it to the start in one piece. I'm off to a sports therapist this afternoon did something to my Achilles on the sdw100 and it came back with avengance on the beachyhead marathon on Saturday my first injury in 5 years of running so have been lucky just hope this isn't the start of a reaccurring problem !
03/11/2012 at 22:29
Which aid stations are you at Lingster?
08/11/2012 at 20:10

Still havin problems with my Achilles so went off to the physio tonight, thought i would go and see what he thought about my chances of running.

Didn't go too bad at all, he reckons all the niggles are normal given the severity of the original injury. Had a calf strain ironed out which is just exacerbating the achilles problem.

Carry on with the x training for the final two weeks and i'll be on the start line.

Everyone else ready?

08/11/2012 at 20:42
Good to hear, Dill. The key is homeostasis
08/11/2012 at 21:04

Slane i would loved to have agreed with you straight away but i had to look that one up and yes i concur

Are you manning an aid station?

08/11/2012 at 21:10
Nope, this time I'm galavanting round the course. Started carbloading already lol
08/11/2012 at 21:43
Hi All I'm manning two aid stations I'll be at little wittenham then onto reading straight after so if there are any request for either aid station let us know. Hope you all stay injury free in the ne t two weeks and see ya there
08/11/2012 at 21:48

Lin - good to know. Nice cold cola would be nice, the fat kind pleasey please 

09/11/2012 at 00:49

Lets see if I can make it a hat trick of 100 milers for 2012!

09/11/2012 at 18:16

i'm doing the POS so may well see some of you along the way!

101 to 120 of 244 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.