Winter 100

141 to 160 of 244 messages
18/11/2012 at 20:51
I'll be taking advantage of the positioning of the Streatley aid station with lots of changes of socks and shoes
GKD
18/11/2012 at 20:56
Ian the ridgeway legs I wouldn't see too much of a problem on, it's normal reasonably fast draining trail, a little undulating but nothing I've seen there would pose too many problems with puddling other than a few farm tracks which are easily navigated.
What may be an issue is the Thames path section if it floods or even if we have sustained rain in the week leading up to the race, then there are parts that could get very boggy indeed
GKD
20/11/2012 at 10:33

Here comes the rain

[queue the Eurythmics tune - come to think about it I was humming that dirge all round the south downs last year!!!]

20/11/2012 at 21:53

Just tried to get the mandatory kit in my pack. Can't get the the base layer in whatever i try.

I'm either changing packs, wearing it or carrying it round my waist.

Physio wants to tape up my calf but i was thinking calf guards.  Decisions decisions..

At least i've decided on shoes, Brooks it is...

20/11/2012 at 22:00

BBC reckon rain should pass on Friday. Fingers crossed on that one Slaneuk

20/11/2012 at 22:02

Dill, does he mean taping them up as in compression, hence like calf guards. Or does he mean providing support to the achilles tendon by effectively providing a "second tendon" on the outside?

GKD
20/11/2012 at 22:07
Dill I highly recommend calf guards, I suffer from tight calves when I run and hence slow recovery from long runs, they've almost completely eliminated the tightness, I wouldn't do anything over 30 miles without them now.
I'm thinking brooks cascadia but I may bring a pair or road shoes for the Thames path legs, haven't run those but most of it is fairly hard packed isn't it?
Re the base layer, is there a need to carry a spare or did it mean wear it? Similarly with the legs, I took it to mean if you wore tights then there was no need for another layer
GKD
20/11/2012 at 22:16

I am recovering from Achilles tendinopathy so he is concerned with protecting that but i keep getting calf strains for some reason and have lost all confidence with my lower legs. I was after a bit of security from the calf guards. What do you think?

WiB
20/11/2012 at 22:17

*Dill* I have used both calf guards and tape. I much prefer tape but I ran Lakeland 100 last year in 2XU calf guards and they were good throughout. So, I would say just go with whichever is your preference.

WiB
20/11/2012 at 22:22

Li My shoe choice was made after centurions email today they recommend trail shoes as the course is very muddy. Will chuck my roadies in the van anyway.

I took the info to mean you have to have on your person a base layer. Wear or carry.

I always wear shorts so will carry leggins.

pmo
20/11/2012 at 22:22

I'm planning for both I find the tape helps to support the achilles while the calf guard reduces strain (pain?) in the gastroc and soleus

pmo
20/11/2012 at 22:26

I used to get horrible problems with calves and did a bit of gymwork to build them up. I would assume then he is looking at taping the calves to support the achilles, by effectively giving the tendon the support. Hence I dont see why you cant have both as they are doing different things. I tend to wear compression tights for all races in any case and think they are great and really aid recovery afterwards.

I've had both in the past, tho not for a full 100 so I dont know whether there is an aggravation/chafeing factor. If it does kick in, you can always rip the tape off!

20/11/2012 at 22:32

WiB I can't say i have a preference because i wouldn't normally use either but after the problems i've had lately i'm paranoid about further injury. If i was to choose i wouldn't wear guards unless i was getting real good benefit.

I thought about both pmo but wasn't sure if it would have the desired effect. 

20/11/2012 at 22:34
*Dill* wrote (see)

I thought about both pmo but wasn't sure if it would have the desired effect. 

What would be the desired effect do you think and are you worried one would counteract the other?

20/11/2012 at 22:35

Think i'll get taped up on Friday anyway seeing as it's a freebie..

20/11/2012 at 22:40

I suppose with tape pulling the muscles up and compression squishing it in i did think they may act as opposing forces when i really need the achilles protected more than anything.

Probably over thinking it..

20/11/2012 at 22:45

yep - if you think it thru they are not contradicting each other. If anything you are over squishing it if you put it like that. If they were contrdicting then one would be squishing and the other would be pulling - but here they are not

And as its a freebie then ust ear in mind, if you feel it chafe, then rip it off

WiB
20/11/2012 at 22:50

Ah ok... get stuck into some tape then

WiB
pmo
21/11/2012 at 20:05

Going back to the earlier point about the baselayer - I had taken that to mean a spare top at all times. Seems sensible incase it does turn cold fast, and you're not moving so fast.

pmo
21/11/2012 at 20:26

Your baselayer will always be spare until you put it on. .

I'm not happy about carrying it round my waist so may have to change to a bigger pack.

141 to 160 of 244 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.