World Runner to finish run in London

Jesper Olsen - Danish World Runner

1 to 20 of 22 messages
29/09/2005 at 10:53
On the 17th October 2005, Danish World Runner, Jepser Olsen will arrive in Liverpool after completing almost 25,700km in his quest to become the first person to properly run around the world. You can view his web site at www.worldrun.org

He left London on Jan 1st 2004 and has travelled through Europe, Russia, Siberia, Japan, Australia, most of USA( getting close to New York and Canada.

Jesper is aiming to finish at the Greenwich Observatory on the 23rd of October. His schedule from Liverpool to London is:

Depart Belfast ferry terminal, Liverpool - 17th Oct
Arrive, Duddon, Bulls Head Public House - 17 Oct - 47.4km

Arrive, Stoke on Trent - 18 Oct - 101.2km

Arrive, Derby Service Area -19 Oct - 155.2km

Arrive, Kibworth - 20 Oct - 206.6km

Arrive Kettering Travelodge (junction 13) - 21 Oct 250.4km

Arrive Baldock travelodge - (roundabout prior) - 22 Oct 303.4km

HURRAY!!!!!!GMT - 23 Oct - 389.1km and 26,000 plus klms.

How can runners help?

Jesper would love to have company of any runners that would love to join him on the road for any of his run in England. He is also going to need crew help for the last week. He is very tired and wont make it from Liverpool to London in a week if he has to push his own running jogger. Jesper will help look after expenses for any crew that helps him.

If you can help him in any way or you know someone that might be able to help him, please send me an email to pessam@bigpond.net.au.

Yours in running,

Phil
29/09/2005 at 11:03
dog - he's choosing to stay at all the best places when he runs to London eh??

great achievement all the same
29/09/2005 at 11:06
Best I could do! I designed the schedule with the help of one of your English routeplanner web sites! (he might not necessarily stay at the hotel that is mentioned!)

Phil
Duck Girl    pirate
29/09/2005 at 15:42
cool
saddddly i willl be at uni
hwow fasssssst?
30/09/2005 at 09:30
hmmm.. intersting... and not toooo out of the way.
30/09/2005 at 09:44
Thanks Duck Girl and Ed for your replies. if you know anyone that might be able to run with Jesper or crew for him on any of the days, please.....forward this thread to them. Thanks heaps!
Stump    pirate
30/09/2005 at 09:57
I'm not good enough to do one of his sections never mind the lot!

Anybody fancy getting a relay team together to cover one of the midland slots?

30/09/2005 at 10:07
Thanks Stump...vThats appreciated!

Note ---you dont even have to join him for a whole day! any kms will be great.
30/09/2005 at 15:22
phil.... do you have a more detailed route?

i may be able to do something along the stoke->derby section.. if i can get some time off.
Stump    pirate
30/09/2005 at 15:33
Ed I'll do a bit on that section too. Just need to know the day and I'll take the time off.
Duck Girl    pirate
30/09/2005 at 16:55
how faast willl he be lookin gto goo?/
30/09/2005 at 20:51
Jesper is travelling between 8 and 12 kms a hour. He usually runns about 2 miles and then has a five minute break. If anyone needs a more detailed itenery, please email me on pessam@bigpond.net.au and I'll copy and paste what I got from www.theaa.com. Doesnt make much sense to me being from Down Under - but it might to you Guys!

Stump    pirate
30/09/2005 at 20:52
paste away phil we'll track him down and join him for a bit
30/09/2005 at 21:02
U sure Stump? It was 7 pages when I printed it from the web site.

Go to www.theaa.com
Find the travel planner and tick the box to exclude the motorways. Put Belfast ferry terminal as your starting point and Greenwich Observatory in London as the finishing point and press enter!

Thanks
30/09/2005 at 21:33
I'm not sure using the aa route planner is a great way to choose a running route. You'll definitely get a bit stuck when you try to run through the blackwall tunnel!
30/09/2005 at 21:48
Ok...Im doing this from the other end of the world here (Australia)....Where is the blackwall tunnel and please give me an alternative? Thanks :-) (ps Im an expat Pom so was happy about the cricket result)
30/09/2005 at 21:58
I put your route into the aa planner and it ended up going through the blackwall tunnel which crosses over into greenwich. It's only for cars. You'd have to go through the greenwich foot tunnel or one of the bridges across the thames.

It's also aiming to send you on the fastest roads for cars, which aren't often the best places to be on foot. Surely there must be someone who can plan a better route for you? Can't think who though.
30/09/2005 at 22:10
Thanks Foo Bar! I'll alert Jesper to this on the last day! Ive emailed about 40 diff people in the last few days - not much heard in reply!
30/09/2005 at 22:31
It might be an idea to ask on a cycling forum. Cyclists do a lot more long distance routes obviously and probably could advise on roads to avoid at least. Try requesting advice on uk.rec.cycling and uk.rec.running.

Going down a dual carriageway with 100mph traffic passing you a couple of feet away isn't much fun on a bike, never mind while running.
01/10/2005 at 01:06
I didn't know the erstwhile former Manchester United winger had turned into an Ultra-Runner. I assume the mullet has gone to aid wind resistance/sweat evaporation. He never did much running at O.T. back in the day....

(on a slightly more serious note - do you know the route from derby to kibworth? Probably passes close to me, so would be happy to join up for an hour or so - p'essam, I'll e-mail you)
1 to 20 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.