Your favourite medal or other race memento

21 to 39 of 39 messages
seren nos yn canu    pirate
30/10/2012 at 07:28

i love the little square glass paperweights that are engraved inside.

like the slate coaster at snowdonia as well..........and the towles from bala tri have been briliant.such good quality and a decent size

30/10/2012 at 08:10

My Golden Running Shoe from the Llanelli Half wins for naffest Race Memento - its so ridiculous, I Love it!

30/10/2012 at 09:08

Loula, you can get a Dremel engraving tool from various online sellers for about £14-£20. Or a battery operated mini engraving tool for about the same price - Sealey E532 - Mini Engraver 2 x AAA Cell. That's what I found by Googling for power engraving tool.

It gave me a ridiculous amount of satisfaction to engrave the details onto the back of the medals - particularly because the cost of the engraver is less than it would have cost to get a single medal engraved in a shop. Pity my hand isn't sufficiently steady to use it to engrave the parkrun perpetual shields - will have to take those in to a proper place today.

30/10/2012 at 15:23
UTMB finishers gilet. A garment that is practical and you feel proud to wear!
31/10/2012 at 10:57

Loulabell, rofl - could have guessed you hacked your tshirts given what you were wearing for your 50miler!! Did you convert it into a complete outfit?

Should also mention I do like the medals that are unique to the event, rather than bought on mass from a catalog - they tend to make more interesting talking points!

31/10/2012 at 15:43

slaneuk! thats a fab idea-i could get shorts AND a top out of a tshirt....even matching bandana.....

....ok , a step too far with co-ordianation

i quite like my Oxford medal with the spires and a BMW mini

01/11/2012 at 10:55

My best memento was the pint of coke and packet of salt & vinager crisps a fellow runner bought me in the pub after an ultra, I had forgotten my wallet.

Medals are ok BUT  - memories  are priceless.....

01/11/2012 at 11:05

I have two pottery mugs from Marlborough Challenge that I love. I love the t-shirt from the 2012 Fling, took ages to arrive but is cannily shaped at the bottom so it doesn't float around. My favourite though is the Marmot down gillet I won as 2nd lady in the 2009 Beacons Ultra, have never won anything 'proper' before and I live in it!!

Other than that, medals are good if they are interesting - Shakespeare Marathon one is shaped like a book, and the fling ones are good, not quite sure what to do with my Centurion belt buckle for the SDW 100 - I like the theory but it's not the kind of buckle that is ever going to fit or I'm going to wear!!!

Tea and cake at the end of hill races win me over every time

01/11/2012 at 11:14
Paul-G wrote (see)
UTMB finishers gilet. A garment that is practical and you feel proud to wear!

Yeah, i'd quite like one of those!

01/11/2012 at 11:44

My favourite thing is the slate coaster from snowdonia marathon. I have 3 proudly on display and want a 4th . My medals are given to my young lad who puts them in his drawer i dont see the point in them and most are cheap looking imo. Tastefull tshirts ideally in tech fabric also get worn but they have to be well designed and simple.

Ive also a signrd race number by Johnny Brownlee that ive kept! Im wearing it in the profile pic!

Nearly forgot mugs are usefull to, got a nice handmade one from Swaledale marathon. 

Edited: 01/11/2012 at 11:49
GKD
01/11/2012 at 12:19
Like Paul G the finishers gilet from the CCC last year, other than that to much, tech t shirts get worn, medals get shoved in a drawer somewhere and anything else gets binned
GKD
WiB
01/11/2012 at 12:30

You get a gilet for finishing CCC too!?!?! It all sounds brilliant... I just need to get through the lottery now and then of course run it!

WiB
GKD
01/11/2012 at 13:28
Theres a gilet for every finisher, all you need to do is get yourself over a minimum of 60+ alpine miles in all kinds of weather and it's free! Bargain or what?
GKD
WiB
01/11/2012 at 13:32

That is a price I will happily pay

WiB
01/11/2012 at 13:40

01/11/2012 at 14:07

I've got 3 UTMB gilets (2007 one is the best quality) although ruined one of them by trying to shrink it in the wash on mega boil 

Also got a 4 foot long broadsword from winning a multistage ultra a few years back. (it finished in Nottingham so there was a Robin Hood theme).  Couldn't take it home on the train, as getting on the London tube with a backpack and a sword might have seen me getting shot by Special Branch. 

01/11/2012 at 14:57

i also had  Salomon visor and Nike run leggings which were both very nice race momentos

01/11/2012 at 15:02

Dan A: now the broadsword sounds like a great momento!

I'd love to earn one of those gilets one day, but I think it will have to wait a few years before Ieven qualify to enter the ballot.

01/11/2012 at 15:05

id loved to have taken the Broadsword on the tube -just to see the look on peoples faces

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.