Marathon Reverse Splits

1 message
29/12/2012 at 17:01

I read a lot of people talking about reverse splits in Marathons as the best strategy but less detail on how  extreme to make the difference between the two halves.  Let me give a (not so hypothetical) example.

I am running the Brighton Marathon in April 2013.  A time under 3 hours 15 mins gets me a good for age place in the 2014 London Marathon.  I have a 1:29 half marathon under my belt in the summer so 3 hours 4 minutes might be a reasonable target, which is scarily close to 3 hours. 

I would like to give myself a shot at under 3 hours but do not want to go off so quick and blow up in the second half - perhaps even ruining my good for age time for London.   So a reverse split would seem to be the way to go.  If I go for 1:32 in the first half does that give me too much to do in the second half?  Should I go even slower in the second half.?

I have a couple of 20 mile races to rehearse at but interested if there is any formula or advice on a reverse split.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.