Current issues with RW

301 to 320 of 382 messages
17/10/2013 at 11:48

Ben - Have a look at my posts. I have never harrassed a user or threatened this site in anyway. I think that speaks for itself. Last night I actually investigated an issue where a user posted an image that buggered up a thread and I told him what wrong (see the  HADD thread issue). So if being helpful is a crime, then ban me.

17/10/2013 at 11:50

Mr. A - you've not been abusing or breaking forum T&C but as another user you were. You're still the same person but different users so it's up to RW to decide if that's something that they'll allow (Mr. Jekll vs. My. Hyde scenario). Personally - I think you try to help out and go frustrated that noone was listening or they werent doing anything about it.... but that's their forum.

Don't make me go to Fetch. They're all fluffy over there.

17/10/2013 at 11:55

Seren, Emmy - I can only apologise for the time frame. As with all developments, there was never meant to be such an adverse effect on what was happening here and trying to resolve it all has been equally long winded when in conjunction with all the other work we need doing on the site. 

17/10/2013 at 11:58

Agree with all of that Emmy - especially the last bit. I don't do fluffy 

17/10/2013 at 12:00

Ben - I'm an IT Project Manager by trade and if I was in charge of your software deployment or upgrade I would have been fired by now. Perhaps as end users we're not seeing all of what is going on behind the scenes but as far as communication goes - we've been told minimal/nothing.

Let me put it in some sporting terms. This forum is like a rikkity old bike.... and with each rotation of the wheels something else falls off. When are you going to invest in a new bike or actually spend time fixing your old one? You can't keep riding a bike if there's nothing to actually ride.

17/10/2013 at 12:04

In a way, I do have sympathy for Ben.  It sounds like he has little control over the goings on with the developers.  It sounds like he is in their hands, and has to jump to their tune and processes.  We know that RW is using software that is used to power other forums so our bugs may not be the top priority elsewhere.  However, he is the interface to us lot and in a way is deemed by us to be responsible.  If that is the case, "Resposibility without control" is not a nice position to be in.

If I've summarised it incorrectly, I apologise, but that is my interpretation.

I do however agree that all of the bugs etc are very annoying and should have been fixed by now as a lot of them, on the face of it, seem very straight forward to fix.  In my view, publishing a list of what is being worked on with estimated fix dates would help communicate to everyone what is being looked at.

Oh, and I wouldn't ban Mr A.  He livens the place up, although I expect he may disagree with my summary above

17/10/2013 at 12:12

This I am in total agreement with ^^^^

It was my posting that screwed up a thread, beyond any ability to fix it. I then tried the same and buggered up my 2nd thread. MrA checked and told me exactly what the issue was, which a) made sense and b) I understood, especially after a few PM's. He didnt have to do any of that. Thank you for your help and advice MrA.

I saw more useful information in the space of 30 mins last night than I have seen in the last few months about problems and fixes on this site.

If the QA team check so much, why does one fix break something else? All we want is to use a forum site that works properly. All these problems are basic site funtionality, its not as if its the complicated side of site construction thats breaking!

17/10/2013 at 12:15

This was meant to follow MrA's last post, but as I am unable to use a simple edit function to explain, so have to repost.... 

17/10/2013 at 12:17

I'm the last person you could ever describe as being 'fluffy'.  Like RW, Fetch is a product of how you choose to use it, expect it works and is fixed very quickly on the odd occasion it doesn't.  Oh, and conversations with the tech team/mods are just that - a question is asked, then it is answered quickly and dealt with efficiently.  I've yet to see a problem on Fetch last more than a couple of days and communication has been clear throughout.

17/10/2013 at 12:26

Hang on CheesyRider - you mean you can get PMs???

I personally have no idea who Mr A is and can't imagine what other user he could possibly be associated with.

17/10/2013 at 12:27

Emmy, Big G -  As you are involved in the IT industry, I completely understand that unrelsoved errors become even more apparent and frustrating. The processes for development changes here and how they work, which I mention earlier, are unlike any other I've worked with and they clearly have shortfalls, but all systems have their issues and I will always try and make it work as efficiently as I possibly can. 

I have a meeting in place to talk about getting a new bike. 

17/10/2013 at 12:31

RWs developers wouldn't be allowed anywhere near a fully transactional retail site. If they broke something and left it broken they'd be out of the door.

As for leaving things broken for weeks and months on end...I don't know of any other website (transactional or not) where that happens.

17/10/2013 at 12:33

Ben, I've said this before - is there no test environment? If not why doesn't somebody build one?

17/10/2013 at 12:34

In regards to communicating with you guys, I hold up my hands and say that I've not been doing enough of this when it comes to issues and how we're dealing with them. 

On that note, I've spoken to the developers and another set of changes are planned to be made tomorrow morning, which should resolve some of the basic functionality issues. 

17/10/2013 at 12:38

Lit: yeah, GETTING Pm's isnt a problem, I have however lost several PM threads from the past, and of course page 2+ of them isnt accesable at all, apart from being in a random order.

home made quote /on

As for leaving things broken for weeks and months on end...I don't know of any other website (transactional or not) where that happens.

home made quote /off

^^^^ This sums things up nicely Screama. ^^^^

If your Dev team worked in a garage, would they keep the cars for months? 'no petrol sir, come back in 6 weeks and we'll see if it works then and also break part of your car that currently is ok'

Hey Screama, whats the time? 

17/10/2013 at 12:56

06:00 - So put your little hand in mine, there aint no hill or mountain we can't climb...

You know it! 

17/10/2013 at 13:29

It's the random order that's stopping me getting the PMs now - if the new ones aren't on page 1.

17/10/2013 at 13:48

I had to delete all mine until I got to the new one by process of elimination Lit - annoying but it works. 

17/10/2013 at 14:11

cant believe there is talk of Mr A being banned, his past life was dealt with and he has been a model citizen (much to our disbelief) since.

17/10/2013 at 14:22

Dean, you are hereby given honourary membership to the Mr A fanclub ...... if you need more details about the club, just ask Literatin or Screamapillar.

301 to 320 of 382 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.