Current issues with RW

41 to 60 of 382 messages
23/07/2013 at 12:39

Ben, are you able to give a list of issues you're working on with fix dates?  Hopefully, you have some mechanism of working out which ones are the priority issues, and are looking at them first?  Or are you looking to fix all the issues in one go?

23/07/2013 at 12:40
Ben RW wrote (see)

Right, as much as I'd like to stay here all day, I can't. 

Me too, there isnt enough of the site working to warrant spending more than a few minutes now.  Could you not delete the spam for a few days, might give us something to focus on.

Edited: 23/07/2013 at 12:40
23/07/2013 at 12:44

PS  I still have a RW mag subscription so I assume I dont fall into the ''if you dont like it do one'' category ?

23/07/2013 at 12:46
Rich Jackson wrote (see)
Screamapillar wrote (see)

He'll be buttering my parsnips in the meantime...

Stuey is going to be so pissed off !!!

Isn't he?! 

23/07/2013 at 12:52
Ben RW wrote (see)
Millsy1977 wrote (see)
Ben , does anyone know what is causing the issue?

We do, essentially there was a redevelopment of the members section that was rolled out so as to improve usability. These changes weren't just across our site, but a wider platform. The have been some issues with it ie bugs and they're now being dealt with across the board. It's fair from ideal, I know this. 

Aha, it all becomes a little bit clearer now.

Basically it seems that Runners World doesn't actually have a website\forum of its own as you would imagine in a real sense. we are just a configuration parameter in a much bigger "one fix fucks all" (technical term) application.

So basically when you request a page from Runners World you are really just getting a page from the big bucket of 'Immediate Media suckers' pages that are held centrally and accessed via a single piece of software, which is then branded according to the Runners World scheme and served to you as if it were RW own.

This basically means that RW are shoe-horned in with gawd knows how many (initial thoughts would be too many - Immediate Media being greedy and overstretching) other companies that are all vying for their own changes etc to be done. The problem here is that what you change for one company may not fit with anothers configuration and even corrupt it.. and then things start to fall apart as we have witnessed recently.

So I would say from the looks of things, whilst these current issues may be solved in the short term, expect more of these episodes as time goes on. Would appear we are but a small fish in a much bigger (and by the looks of it totally stagnant) pond.

Hey ho, best get used to it.

23/07/2013 at 12:54

I've worked in customer services in the past, at the 'coal face' and in a supervisory role.  If I heard Ben RW's response going across my desk to a customer he'd be turfed in to my office for a stern talking to and strong suggestion of retraining. 

And Ben, throw some more thinly veiled arsey comments about negativity our way, please.  Runner's World paying customers - subscribers or advertisers - will be glowing in the warmth of your communication, I'm sure.  Because let's face it, if we're not paying customers, but we're using the site for free (and passionately), wtf do we have to complain about, eh?

23/07/2013 at 13:01

Subscribers, like me, could say that the website is part of the package. 

23/07/2013 at 13:16

Ben have you tried turning it off and on again?

Hope    pirate
23/07/2013 at 13:20

Or giving it a thump? 

23/07/2013 at 13:20

I appreicate Ben's honest response and I'm sure that he's stuck between a rock and a hard place if we're all sharing the same ship but have different cabins to live in.

All I want is a working forum - I don't want to be bitchy or negative but this is getting to be stupid. the little issues with the fonts are annoying but you can still use the site.

Not being able to open established/new threads goes further than that. It's now becoming unusable and wasting everyone's time. If you want to push your running community away to other competitors - that's fine - but why don't you just close down the forum entirely if you don't want it/can't manage it.

23/07/2013 at 13:29

Ben RW, why don't you take the easy option?

Since RW already own fetcheveryone why don't you just rebrand it and get a working forum straight away.

just make sure that you clear out all the rubbish threads first and start from scratch.

23/07/2013 at 13:30

Just to add to Sussex's point, I am also a subscriber who thinks of the site as part of the subscription.

23/07/2013 at 13:32

See the "oops" thing seems to have stopped happening now - so something's been done to stop it without the old threads actually being fixed.

The half-arsedness is almost worse than nothing happening at all 

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
23/07/2013 at 13:34
Ben RW wrote (see)

As for shite service, well, this website is free to use, it is not compulsory to use it and if you feel that you're not getting what you deserve from it, then I'm not sure there will be anything we can do to change that. 

I subscribe to several discussion forums, none of them charge a fee and none of them expect a subscription to a magazine either. So what is your point? This site has been deteriorating for quite sometime and is getting very frustrating to use.

Your reply and the apparent attitude of those responsible for maintainng this forum are going to be losing lots of customers and hence your jobs. 

The kind of abuse that has been hurled at you and Runners World in general is not acceptable, but neither is your attitude to your paying public. 

24/07/2013 at 11:17

Any news from Ben?  Preferably of the helpful rather than attitude laden kind.

The site last night was appalling, I gave up in the end and on looking through the threads today, it appears there was very little traffic after around 9pm, which would imply others gave up also.

24/07/2013 at 11:18

Never mind, cross post.

24/07/2013 at 12:00

Ben - whilst I appreciate you coming on to make your views known and to update on the fac t that an issue is/has been worked upon, the way in which you've gone about it is - and to use your words, "I'll be completely up front" - absolutely shocking.

I have worked in customer service for all of my career and if I'd communicated in the tone and manner in which you have I'd have been sacked on the spot. How DARE you suggest that people who are on here during the day have nothing better to do and are clearly not doing anything important in comparison to you guys in RW Towers?? If you were one of my staff I'd have had you in disciplinary as quick as I possibly could.

And yes, I take the point this is a free site - so are many other discussion forums I participate on but their mods and editors work tirelessly to ensure that the service is at a level whereby the service users gain as much benefit as possible - that is, after all, their job. It's what they are supposed to do.

A forum is only of a benefit to users if it is usable - this has been a valuable resource to so many people over the years who have come on for advice, support and to trade notes on their experiences - but over the last few months the site overall has deteriorated to such an extent that this fantastic interaction is being lost as people get gradually more and more disillusioned with it. And it's giving Runner's World a very bad reputation. I can't believe the attitude that's been taken towards these boards in all honesty - why on earth would you want to lose that?

Aggressive and derogatory comments from someone representing the "Company" are certainly not conducive to encouraging people to actively participate in discussion forums where open discussion can be difficult to have, and where the site owners really don't give a flying monkeys.

Frankly, I see it that RW actually really don't care about the people who post in here, many of whom are subscribers to the magazine and therefore look at it as a part of their overall package. Considering that without those people there would be no site, no income and no advertising revenue I think that's an incredibly poor attitude to have.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
24/07/2013 at 12:16

It may have had another few days problems......but not sure that moaning is going to sort it out quicker.........

if anyone has had a look around there isn't any other proper alternative unless you want to go to fetch........

Most of the regular posters are just having a couple of days off and will return to their regular forums........

I'm sure most of us can live a few days without the forums.......in the mean time i'm going to look for the humour and banter of this moment.off to ry and find a different error mesage to the 5 different ones I'v e found this week

24/07/2013 at 12:24

@Sister Bad Habit...

Nothing Ben said constitutes immediate sacking. You'd struggle to get much in the way of a formal disciplinary, too.

Ensuring the code behind a site isn't the responsibilty of the mods or the editors. Being a moderator most certainly isn't my job.

This forum is a valuable resource, yes.  A free one.

At some point it's reasonable to expect someone "representing the company" to respond in kind to all the rude wankers who've been throwing abuse at them for a couple of days over something so trivial.  If I had the chance I'd drop the accounts of those people and ask them to stay the fuck away in future.

I suspect the majority of people here are not subscribers.

You have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, nor can you lay blame and any one door.  The job of handling the maintenance of the code behind the site might be falling to one poor sod who's inherited a pile of shit from previous developers, a code-base that's evolved poorly to meet budgetary needs rather than usabilty needs.

To paraphrase what Ben said, if you don't like it, piss off.

24/07/2013 at 12:40

Intermanaut talking about other people being rude - pot, kettle, black.

Who was it that was calling Ninjablossom "tiresome" for no good reason the other day?

BTW lots of us used to be subscribers but cancelled the subscription after a couple of years when the content became repetitive - no-one's going to keep paying for something they've read umpteen times before.

Edited: 24/07/2013 at 12:43
41 to 60 of 382 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.