Current issues with RW

61 to 80 of 382 messages
24/07/2013 at 12:43

Some lovely language there Intermanaut, thank you very much for that.

Actually, this isn't about just this one episode. This is a situation that has been coming for many months with the deterioration of the site. The lack of maintenance on a global page such as this (which it is, actually, as the discussion centre for RW UK and I'm aware of a number of people who visit from outside the UK for input and guidance) is, simply, very sad.

And I stand by the fact that I feel Ben's tone and manner of delivery are unacceptable for someone who is essentially the public face of an organisation. I'd also like it noted that not once have I endorsed the fact that some users have "been throwing abuse at them".

24/07/2013 at 12:47

Anyway Intermanaut - perhaps what you should really be doing is asking yourself why you are seeing these issues differently to the other to 99% of the forum. 

Edited: 24/07/2013 at 12:47
24/07/2013 at 12:53
Intermanaut wrote (see)

You have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, nor can you lay blame and any one door.  The job of handling the maintenance of the code behind the site might be falling to one poor sod who's inherited a pile of shit from previous developers, a code-base that's evolved poorly to meet budgetary needs rather than usabilty needs.

To paraphrase what Ben said, if you don't like it, piss off.

Indeed. However the reason that we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes is that no one in responsiblity has posted what's going on behind the scene.
Forum's falling to bits like this one just has isn't that uncommon. However I can't recollect ever being on one where their has been such a singular lack of communication by the owners as to what is happening. I'm guessing there's another strata of poor managment that's gagging Ben from producing an appropriate response, But the fact on page one of the thread the concept of putting something on the front page, is seen as a 'good idea', rather than 'bleeding obvious' is a bit worrying.

24/07/2013 at 12:55

http://triadstrategies.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a6abf659970b0133ed548d72970b-800wi

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
24/07/2013 at 12:55

I do think some people need a reality check, RW isnt exactly BBC online I doubt they have a massive IT budget and doubt this site makes much money in the scheme of things.

What I do find strange is the almost orchestrated outrage thats coming from the usual suspects (mainly the ones who have 'left the site').  I wouldnt be at all surprised about the mods being sick and tired of the shit they have to deal with and all the childish stupid threads and deliberate posting to cause controversy (potential offence).  It wasnt long ago that one of this group apparently took it up upone himself to hack RW.

I had a look on the unofficial RW facebook page last night, was a bit surprised how far some people are prepared to go, is it really necessary to find out and stalk Ben's linked in profile?

I think some of you really need a reality check, this is a running website, its not life and death, you need to unwind it from your lives a little and get real.

24/07/2013 at 12:57
Intermanaut wrote (see)

This forum is a valuable resource, yes.  A free one.

I suspect the majority of people here are not subscribers.

But what about those who are subscribers ? Should they keep quiet or piss off as well ? 

24/07/2013 at 13:00
Ian M wrote (see)
Intermanaut wrote (see)

You have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, nor can you lay blame and any one door.  The job of handling the maintenance of the code behind the site might be falling to one poor sod who's inherited a pile of shit from previous developers, a code-base that's evolved poorly to meet budgetary needs rather than usabilty needs.

Indeed. However the reason that we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes is that no one in responsiblity has posted what's going on behind the scene.
Forum's falling to bits like this one just has isn't that uncommon. However I can't recollect ever being on one where their has been such a singular lack of communication by the owners as to what is happening. I'm guessing there's another strata of poor managment that's gagging Ben from producing an appropriate response, But the fact on page one of the thread the concept of putting something on the front page, is seen as a 'good idea', rather than 'bleeding obvious' is a bit worrying.

The fact that the 'good idea' wasn't acted upon is also quite telling. 

As for Ben's attitude, I made my thoughts on that clear some pages back (and have felt compelled to comment similarly about his attitude on other threads in the past).  Someone who comes across as huffy, immature, dismissive and rude is not a good 'front of house' staff for a website with such a high profile.  Yes, abuse was thrown, thanks largely to Ben's lack of communication and attitude causing frustration and offence to site users, but unfortunately for anyone who is given - and accepts - responsibility for the image of their company, frustrated and angry clients come with the territory.  Not saying it's right, but it does happen and an attitude (described above) is not conducive to a healthy client relationship.

24/07/2013 at 13:00

Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

I had a look on the unofficial RW facebook page last night, was a bit surprised how far some people are prepared to go, is it really necessary to find out and stalk Ben's linked in profile?

I don't condone that at all but perhaps stuff like that wouldn't happen if the communication was better.

24/07/2013 at 13:08

Maybe Ben would have more time to do his job and communicate with those on the forum if certain people weren't hell bent on causing trouble on the forum.

24/07/2013 at 13:10
Screamapillar wrote (see)

I don't condone that at all but perhaps stuff like that wouldn't happen if the communication was better.

I don't know which group is doing that but it certainly isn't the one I'm in - I've even gone back and checked through posts from yesterday to make sure I didn't miss anything.

And whilst my post count may not be high, I do lurk and pick up lots of valuable tips etc, something which is hard to do when the forums have either fallen over altogether or are chock full of spam.

24/07/2013 at 13:13

Maybe Ben would have more time to do his job and communicate with those on the forum if certain people weren't hell bent on causing trouble on the forum.

Oh come on! Some prams might have been climbed out of in recent days (weeks?) but it's only because people want the forum to work, and answers to why it's not working not because they are "hell bent on causing trouble".

Edited: 24/07/2013 at 13:14
24/07/2013 at 13:13

I find myself agreeing with Ben, there has been some quite insulting stuff aimed at him, and even though some of it was quite funny, much of it wbit going too far.

if you go into a shop or garage these days you'll  often see a sign saying that the staff are not there to be abused and it won't be tolerated. Now this sign is often in places where you might want to get the person round the neck and squeeze hard, perhaps your bank has made an error or easyjet have bounced you off your flight, but your dissatisfaction with what has happened doesn't give you the right to kick off at the person telling you about it.

If I were Ben, and some of the things that have been said to him were said to me, I would have exactly the same response, I'm doing the best I can under my remit from my employers, if that is not sufficient to allay your misgivings about the forum, then you are free to find another one and use that. 

and let's face it, if all the regular posters on here DID piss off tomorrow would the wheels fall off for RW? Of course not.  

if you do the "who's online" thing, you'll see that there are many hundreds of people logged in who aren't using the forum at all.

24/07/2013 at 13:14

How does a website crashing spectacularly over several weeks constitute it's users causing trouble?  It got to the point yesterday that people felt they had to create new threads to make their complaints - the same ones that went unanswered for several weeks - because they couldn't access the ones that had already been created.

That's not trouble making, it's complaining.  Had things been handled correctly, or even efficiently, not to mention politely by RW, people would not have felt the need to complain.

24/07/2013 at 13:18
Screamapillar wrote (see)

Oh come on! Some prams might have been climbed out of in recent days (weeks?) but it's only because people want the forum to work, and answers to why it's not working not because they are "hell bent on causing trouble".

I dont just mean in the last few days, what about all the orchestrated bullying of D2D, all the stuff that went on with DF3?

24/07/2013 at 13:24

As I remember, D2D could be quite the bully on her own merit - and got herself banned.

That was a long time ago now and doesn't have any bearing on, or relevance to, people's opinions about current website functionality as far as I can see.

Why try to make this into something it's not?

Edited: 24/07/2013 at 13:28
24/07/2013 at 13:29

She put me in her videos. And not in a good way.

24/07/2013 at 14:01

@Screamapillar - re. pots & kettles, so what?

Re. me seeing it differently, perhaps that's because I appreciate the the forum is free to use, and entirely optional. I also understand the problems the come with supporting a platform that's used in different guises by several publications and thousands of users.

Perhaps you should be asking yourself, "Could it be that Intermanaut is right, and the 99% are wrong?"

Re. Ninjablossom - she was, and probably still is tiresome. I called her that after several whiny posts from her.

People cancelled subs due to the magazine's repetetive content? So, they cancelled because of something entirely unrelated to the forum?

@Sister Bad Habit - you're welcome. Suck it up.

@Ian M - there's no need for them to tell us what's going on.

@CarterUSM - the sub. is for the magazine. The web site is secondary (free content) and the forum tertiary (also free). If you're a subscriber and your life is so badly affected by the forum's outage, then cancel your sub and join Fetch.

All this fuss about a stupid little forum. Good luck if you ever have to deal with a significant problem IRL. The "outrage" is symptomatic of the way society has become - it's like that absurd mass-mourning when a s'leb pops off.

24/07/2013 at 14:04

I think the main bone of contention with Ben is the lack of communication and then when some was finally forced out of him the tone wasn't great.

As soon as they knew there was an issue with the website (and I'll park that one!!)  ... there should have been a simple note posted somewhere easily accessible and viewable by all along the lines of.

"We're sorry we are experiencing some issues with the forum at the moment so some threads may not be available. Please be assured we are working to rectify this situation as soon as we can.

We apologise for any inconvenience."

And then this updated every couple of hours with timestamped updates ... e.g.

"11:30  - Technical team have now identified the issue and are testing the fix before putting it live."

"13:30 - Testing complete and live fix will be applied at xx:xx"

...... just simple communications like this would have saved an awful lot of grief and angst, and its not difficult is it !!

24/07/2013 at 14:12

Ben has some nerve to not say anything for over 2 weeks despite everything going wrong then saying 'hey, why all the moaning?'. The level of moaning would have been lower had he done his job in the first place.

24/07/2013 at 14:20

Mr A nonymous, its quite laughable that you find it acceptable to create a ghost profile and come here, moan about the forum and that Ben isnt kissing your ass. 

61 to 80 of 382 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.