Dundee Advanture Running Marathon

Cancelled but still advertised

6 messages
Ian
25/08/2009 at 15:14

The Dundee Adventure Running Marathon on the 12th of September has been 'postponed' until next year - in other words, cancelled for this year but they are still advertising on line and on RW and taking people's money (mine - yesterday). The text of the email I received is below.

Dundee Running Adventure Marathon 2009

It is with deep regret, that we have to tell you that this years DRAM event has been postponed until next year - this is entirely due to current entry numbers received and projected Police costs for the event. We had delayed the final decision to see how final entry numbers may be to as close to the event as possible.

This is slightly ironic, since we "saved" the Dundee Half Marathon earlier this year.

There are a number of options opened to each of you regarding the payment which you have made, which are:

1. A full refund (£26.20 or £23.00 or £39.00) of the payment made.

2. A part refund (£13.10) of the payment made, with your entry transferring to the Angus HaM (Half Marathon) next year.

3. A part refund (£13.10) of the payment made, with your entry transferring to the Dundee Half Marathon next year.

4. Automatic entry into both the Angus and Dundee half marathon races next year - no refund

Can you please get back to me regarding your decision and we will make the necessary arrangements.

Please note that if you have paid your entry more than 3 months ago, can you please re-confirm your full postal address with your reply.

Again, let me say how sorry we are to have had to make this difficult decision, but given the current financial situation as a business, we must look at whether it is viable to run this event.

Please get back to me if you have any queries regarding this.

Regards.

Nicholas Kydd.

Race Director.

Eventfull Management Limited

25/08/2009 at 15:40

Ian, sorry to hear that you got your fingers burht with this one.  If you look on the scottish runners thread you will see that several of knew this could be happening for the past week, and the comment was made that the company should have stopped taking entries on the website.  I see the site is still up, and find this very disappointing.  Some of the runners are going to do Moray instead, which is the next day.

Scottish Runners Thread

Ian
25/08/2009 at 16:39
Thanks Dundee. But I don't understand why its still on the RW calender as well? It just looks like a complete scam or the totally disorganised activity of a company that wants to use races as a speculative business venture. Did you get your money back?
Edited: 25/08/2009 at 16:40
25/08/2009 at 16:50
Only officially heard today Ian, same email as you.  I have asked for my money back, because I do not see why it should sit in their bank account for events that may not be on next year.  Not had any response back to my request.  Maybe we need to complain to the folks in RW towers about the event still being on their calendar.
Ian
25/08/2009 at 17:27
Well, I've done what I can to stop other people getting conned. I've contacted the RW forum moderator, trading standards and Sweatshop, who are supposedly sponsoring the event. Sweatshop said that they only heard today that it was cancelled. Good luck getting your money back. I suppose if it does turn out to be a complete scam there is the insurance on the credit card but that, in my experience, is a complete pain in the gonads. I certainly wouldn't trust the same organisation for any other events. Wasn't there a pirate by the name of Kydd?
Ian
25/08/2009 at 17:33
I suppose the other question is whether the Angus and Dundee half marathons will be similarly blighted by a disreputable firm organsing them? Sad if they are. I don't get north of the boarder often enough (I live in Durham) but love doing Scottish races. I was looking forward to this. Tayside is beautiful.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.