Forum Spam: Apology and Fixes

An update on how we'll be improving the forum

3 messages
13/06/2012 at 12:21

Hi all,

As you all know, we have had lots of problems with an unprecedented level of spam over the weekend. We'd like to take this opportunity to apologise profusely - we know how frustrating you have all found this and we’ve been taking urgent steps this week to prevent a repeat.

We’ve had confirmation from our tech team that quickjoin or instream posting has been stopped – this enabled new members who hadn’t validated their accounts to post a first forum message. We previously had this check in the old forum system, but there was a delay transferring this to the update. This should hopefully prevent some of the spam.

Another new measure we’ve decided to take is to trial a user moderation system over weekends and evenings, in addition to us checking moderation alerts during the day. This should help calm spam problems over weekends and bank holidays, which we understand is extremely frustrating for all of you. We’ll let you know when this starts, but it should be in the next few days.

We are also working on a number of other measures over the next week.

As ever keep your forum alerts coming in whenever you spot spam and we’ll try to delete it and block the offending member as quickly as possible. We’d love to hear your feedback on these fixes and your views on user moderation.

Finally (phew!), our tech team will be working hard this week to clear any outstanding bugs on the runnnersworld.co.uk forum update. Our aim is to make the forum as user-friendly as possible and we’ve taken on all your feedback. Thanks as well for all your patience over this weekend – we really value your commitment and contribution to this forum.

Best,
Dominique

Edited: 13/06/2012 at 12:22
13/06/2012 at 20:59

I made this comment on the thread that's become all about mods Dominique but I disagree with Immediate Media's comment re the spam.

Being able to post without a verified email address is not the sole or main cause of this spam. That function has been live for weeks, the trolls came out in force and nothing else happened.  Immediate Media also removed that function on Monday or Tuesday at the latest and we've been spammed since then.

Edited: 13/06/2012 at 20:59
14/06/2012 at 08:05

And here comes the spam again  I rest my case.

I have to admit I wondered if it was Hearst/RW just having a very tight budget that was preventing bugs from being mixed etc but I dont' see that as the case now.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.