new posters

9 messages
25/09/2009 at 09:03

Just wondering if it is possible to prevent a newly signed up member from posting a thread with a link in it (or filtering out any threads that have owned, google and mafia in the  title)?

LIVERBIRD    pirate
25/09/2009 at 09:18
Google own the mafia? Since when?
25/09/2009 at 09:22

I'm guessing that our friend 'Kef' is acutally as computer generated message. I know that other sites have systems in place to prevent this, even though it means the new menber can't post straight away, surely RW can find a way to do the same?

LIVERBIRD    pirate
25/09/2009 at 09:30

Oh - I always imagined him a bit like the banker from "Deal or no Deal"

25/09/2009 at 10:07

Hi guys

We are looking at ways to prevent these spam messages. Sorry for the frustration in the meantime - we hope to have something in place soon.

Catherine

LIVERBIRD    pirate
25/09/2009 at 10:10

Catherine - you'll miss Kef when he's gone!

It's his life's work, waiting for you to go home so he can have a few hours of spamming...

25/09/2009 at 10:32

How about some form of secondary process with email confirmation to confirm account create, if they dont actually have an email then the account wont be created.

Or, they have to be a RW subscriber to be able to create a thread - even better!!

25/09/2009 at 12:23
Unfortunately, you do already have to "validate" your account via an email link that confirms you've registered with a valid address and that's not stopped them so far. We do have some other options up our sleeve though...
30/09/2009 at 19:53
One site I use had the system whereby you have to enter the random words before you can register - this weeds out the computer generated spam although, obviously, not that inflicted on us by 'real' people!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.