Runners World training log

???

11 messages
23/03/2012 at 17:21

OK the Runners World training log has ceased to function, and I wasn't contacted by anyone, not even Fetch Anyone.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  How can I get my data?

ATM
23/03/2012 at 18:56
All my stuff's gone, too, S. 'just noticed.I've emailed  Fetch (?) using the link provided.When did you get in touch with them. I also kept the urls to the maps of all my routes on the log. I'd really like to retreive my stuff. Did we miss the notification of this change?
ATM
23/03/2012 at 22:41
No notification as far as I can tell. Struggling to find out if our data is all lost or not.

Not happy..........
27/03/2012 at 10:48
Mine's gone too. Some warning would have been good. I've emailed Fetch too. Not happy.
ATM
29/03/2012 at 14:58
Has anyone had any response from Fetch/RW?
ATM
29/03/2012 at 18:18
A stock email reply that was rather unsatisfactory.

"Sorry for the inconvenience - I look after Fetcheveryone.com, which is owned
by Natmag Rodale i.e. the same company that owns Runner's World. Indeed, if
you look at Fetcheveryone, you can see that it says "A Runner's World Site"
just above the logo.

In straightforward terms, what's happened is that the web address you
normally use has been linked to a different server. The old server will
still be humming away, and I'm pretty confident that your data is still
perfectly intact on that server.

I've asked my boss (who oversees RW and Fetcheveryone) for help in tracking
it down. The old training log is a US-based system I think, so it might take
a while to get in touch with the right people. Also as far as I can tell,
that site was last updated in the region of five years ago - and training
logs have come along a huge amount since then.

Of course, I understand how important it is to have your training
information - I run too, and it's good to look back and see improvements,
and to see what sort of training you did before your best ever race, and
that sort of thing. So I do know where you're coming from, and I will do my
best to retrieve that information for you.

In the worst case scenario, we can link the web address back to the old
server temporarily, to enable you to export your data, and then I can import
it into Fetcheveryone for you - but fingers crossed for a neater solution.
Once again, sorry for the inconvenience."
29/03/2012 at 18:21
Trying the link again in the vain hope that SOMEthing might be happening and got this:

"The web page at http://traininglog.runnersworld.co.uk/logs/index.php has resulted in too many redirects."

No shit.
ATM
29/03/2012 at 19:19

Thanks for posting that, Jj.

An email to users would have taken 2 minutes..Given any notice, we could have saved our data.I'm going back to an old jotter..

ATM
31/03/2012 at 15:39
The RW link now directs you to Fetcheveryone, but I'm still not sure if I can get at my old data.

I'm trying out the logs on Fetch and also on map my run but I'm not sure which to go with yet. Has any one got any other suggestions?

I feel as though I will probably never see my old RW training log data again .......
01/04/2012 at 22:58
I've chased them up on this today but I'm not confident of a response. I can reconstruct most of my running history but not all of it and not in a lot of detail.

I quite like The fetch training log but I have 2 big problems with it -

1) it's run by the same company that just switched off the RW training log.

2) the export function doesn't have much data. So you key a lot of data in but if you want to export it to a spready you only get the bare essentials.

Can anyone recommend a good training log ... Failing that I may well use my own spready or mdb ... But I would prefer a web based log that I can access from anywhere.
17/04/2012 at 10:55
Latest email from Ian at Fetcheveryone:

Hi there,

Just a quick group update to apologise for the lack of progress really :-/
I'm still as confident as I can be that the data is safe, but I'm at the mercy of what sounds like an overstretched IT guy on the other side of the Atlantic.

I have discovered that some other RW countries (Holland and Germany) have gone through a similar exercise, hence my confidence - but short of harassing people, it's just a case of being patient unfortunately.

There are 70 of you on my mailing list, but if you know of anyone else who would like to recover their data, please feel free to pass on my details, and I can send them similarly uninspiring updates until I get my hands on the data. And of course, if you've lost the will to continue, please let me know if you want me to stop.

Hope you're all running well,

Regards,
Ian

Ian Williams, aka 'Fetch'
Editor, Fetcheveryone.com

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.