Sex discrimination

Not a bug but ...

10 messages
16/12/2009 at 12:52

Dear RW

Where a user has not uploaded a pic there is a default 'click to change' silhouette.  This is quite clearly a bloke.  In fact I think it is modelled on my geography teacher.  If that silhouette is wearing elbow patches it is definately him.

Anyhow, this didn't used to bother me as you don't see the silhouettes for non-pic people in the normal course of events. For non-pic people, I find one tends to imagine what posters look like.  In my imagination female posters who make witty, entertaining and engaging posts generally resemble Penelope Cruz.

However, every now and then a hottest forum thread thing appears on the right of my screen.  This has the pic, poster name, and the thread title in a speech bubble.  It creeps me out when the poster is clearly of the female persuasion but the silhouette is that of a bloke.

Please stop trying to make my Penelope Cruzs look like Mr. Donnelly.

Many Thanks
b

16/12/2009 at 12:59
bos, I think maybe you need to get out more!
16/12/2009 at 13:06
Jeez, KK - where do you find these things?! 
16/12/2009 at 13:13
Hark the Herald Wilkie wrote (see)
bos, I think maybe you need to get out more!

Have you seen the weather out there?

I'm staying in here where it's warm with my collection of Almodovar films.

16/12/2009 at 13:14
kittenkat wrote (see)
http://www.planetdan.net/pics/misc/eww.jpg

Just change the generic avatar to this and people will soon upload a pic (Not my feet btw)

Mum!
16/12/2009 at 13:16
well..... try a few new websites, or something, bos!
16/12/2009 at 13:20

You dont find it creepy that female posters have a male avatar?

Er, I would suggest that it is not me who should be exploring.

16/12/2009 at 13:48

How do you know it's a man?  Could be a masculine-looking woman.

You've fallen into the trap of gender stereotyping!

Your avatar - that could be male or female (whatever it is?!)

It's only a picture, after all.  Penelope Cruz could have anything as an avatar, and she'd still be Penelope Cruz....

16/12/2009 at 15:11
Hark the Herald Wilkie wrote (see)

How do you know it's a man?  Could be a masculine-looking woman.

You've fallen into the trap of gender stereotyping!

Your avatar - that could be male or female (whatever it is?!)

It's only a picture, after all.  Penelope Cruz could have anything as an avatar, and she'd still be Penelope Cruz....

a) someone masculine looking is more like to be a man than a woman.   That isnt stereotyping, just the way it is 

b) I dont believe you didnt recognise Flat Eric.

Flat Eric

16/12/2009 at 15:29

(a) more likely, but not necessarily. To assume that because someone looks masculine then they must be male is stereotyping. 

(b) I guess I don't watch enough tv!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.