Spam, spam and more spam

Is anything being done?

19 messages
31/05/2012 at 10:40

Hi RW,

Since the new website has been launched - we've had A LOT of spam back on the website. I know that the website change was meant to help reduce spam but it seems to have backfired. It was working great for a few weeks/month but it's gone downhill and in the morning - it's hard to read what's really "new".

Are you doing anything to stop it?

Many thanks,

Emmy.

M...eldy    pirate
31/05/2012 at 18:40

Loads of it this evening ....

Doesnt seem to be at quite the level it was a few months back but its quite feckin annoying  

31/05/2012 at 19:39

I thought that the 'new' format was meant to reduce spam - maybe I was mistaken?

01/06/2012 at 09:29

They've even found the website bugs forum. 

BTW does anyone want to buy any old 9.5 size running shoes?  My spare room's getting a bit cluttered.  NikeAdidasNikeSauconyAsicsNike.  Plenty good mileage good shoe yes!

M...eldy    pirate
02/06/2012 at 02:15

I could quite happily sit here all night reporting spammers but the only thing that would serve to do is give RW towers more emails to pick up in the morning

What exactly happened with the new upgrade that has allowed these spammers back in again?

Its not like they are selling anything interesting   

M...eldy    pirate
02/06/2012 at 06:39

I have reported this mornings round of spamming twats

02/06/2012 at 07:46

I think if we all report the spam then they're forced to do something about it? If they realise how many of us are truly peeved off by it?

M...eldy    pirate
05/06/2012 at 20:01

Welcome back RW from your long bank holiday

You may want to pay the cleaners a spot of overtime to clear up all the spam

Sort it out, please

seren nos    pirate
05/06/2012 at 20:40

a few months ago they said they changed things and it did get better,this format seems to have forgotton how to deal with it

05/06/2012 at 20:58
seren nos wrote (see)

a few months ago they said they changed things and it did get better,this format seems to have forgotton how to deal with it

I was thinking the exact same.

Dear RW -> We hope you enjoyed your long weekend now please sort out the spam.

08/06/2012 at 10:18

***Bump***

General question - do RW read the forum/bugs? We've not heard anything from them in a while and I wanted to check.

P.S - Please fix the spam

yeo
08/06/2012 at 18:33

FFS, is there an emergency contact number?

The forum is almost completely clogged up

08/06/2012 at 20:59

I have tried 'ignore member' on the spam threads but it will only let you ignore a a max of 20! 

Drastic action - perhaps consider halting new forum members until a grip is got on this.  Not very sociable I know but something must done to stop this.

PSC    pirate
09/06/2012 at 04:57

6 pages of it.  This has got to improve please.

09/06/2012 at 11:47

If RW need another 'pair of hands' I'd be more than happy to clean the forum up to the best of my ability.  If someone at RW towers sees this then PM me, this needs to get sorted otherwise the whole forum will collapse!  I see two potential options - revert back to the 'old' forum whilst the new one is sorted or destroy the user accounts of the spammers and block the IP adresses.  Either way, something needs to be done.

09/06/2012 at 14:01

This has become totally ridiculous! TBH, I now just go direct to my 'home' thread and don't often look at the rest of the forum, so I hadn't realised how bad things have got. The new 'upgrade' might be acceptable if it had really reuced the amount of rubbish we get, but it clearly hasn't.

Other sites manage to deal with this, I don't see why RW won't.

10/06/2012 at 15:48
Is no one from RW logging onto their own community forum? How has this been allowed to go on? So awful. Football has invaded my living room and now our runners community!!! Please fix it before we all go elsewhere.
yeo
10/06/2012 at 19:14

I agree

I am disgusted that no-one from RW Towers has looked in over the weekend.  Way back there were mods around to caz people for saying something naughty, but now they can't be bothered even when there is major disruption to the forum.

What's worse the problem was apparent on Friday afternoon, so unless they observed Poet's Day really early they just bogged off for the weekend knowing the forum would be totally bolloxed.

13/06/2012 at 13:44

Hi all,

Apologies again for the spam over last weekend and this week. We're looking at ways to fix this and to prevent a repeat. We'd love to hear your feedback on this thread:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/forum-spam-apology-and-fixes/200968.html

Best,
Dominique

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.