Suggestion - "Latest Replies"

Should be "Latest Posts"?

14 messages
31/01/2004 at 17:23
Hi you lovely RW techy types.

I love the new "Latest Replies" thing, but because, technically, new threads start with no replies, they don't appear in "Latest Replies". Thus many interesting (possibly) one-post threads languish unreplied because we don't get to see them.

If it were "Latest Posts" instead, life would be lovely and no-one would kill themselves because everyone ignored their thread. And RW wouldn't be morally responsible for their demise.

Ta very much. You've done a fantastic job on the recent changes, by the way (buttering-up not intended!).
05/03/2004 at 12:35
Boing?
25/03/2004 at 13:44
Gosh, we did a fine PR job in ignoring you there. Sorry Swerve.

The 'new discussions' link is a quick was of going through all, er new discussions. We'll definitely leave that in place, because it's proving a neat quick way of browsing the latest thoughts for the day over a few pages.

As to whether we duplicate unreplied messages into the 'latest replies'/latest posts -- anyone else got an opinion?

I don't feel violently strongly either way. However, even though there's some crossover at the moment, it's quite nice to have a rough new threads vs threads in progress distinction

Sean, RW
25/03/2004 at 13:53
didn't even realise they didn't appear in the latest replies - i have long since given up on any part of the forums apart from latest replies so as swerve says, wouldn't see any threads until they got a reply
25/03/2004 at 14:04
Isn't it an obvious mistake, Sean?

And anyway, once the new threads have subsequent posts, they appear in "Latest Replies" anyway, so why worry about duplication if there's only one post but not worry if there are two or more?

Check out "Mystery Knee Pain" by The Silver Fox for yet another example of a thread nobody saw til the originator replied to himself. And thanks annajo for the nice example!
25/03/2004 at 17:55
Good points. Certainly one lesson we web people need to remember is that readers don't always use things in that ways that we'd predicted.

I'll have a chat about this and get back...

Sean
06/08/2004 at 15:07
(this still annoys me a bit)

:-)
06/08/2004 at 15:10
Totally agree with swerve, whenever I post something its fingers crossed it gets noticed
ip(FeS2)    pirate
06/08/2004 at 15:11
Took me a while to realise that this was what was happening too.-
I've been very tempted to reply to my own posts just to get them onto the "latest" lists sometimes.-
I'd definitely prefer the 1 post wonders to be on the list.- They'll drop of real quick if noone is interested anyway
30/11/2004 at 18:24
Aha!

Well done RW!
You're back on my Christmas card list. :-)
Duck Girl    pirate
30/11/2004 at 18:25
? I had to double-post few minutes ago to get a thread up?
Duck Girl    pirate
30/11/2004 at 18:26
Interesting - the clock on top rt of post window is different time to clock top rt of message window? How sad am I?
30/11/2004 at 18:44
wow, that had been done and was waiting to be uploaded for ages. Thanks for the suggestion Swerve.

DG - I hope that was a one-off (the double post) - let me know if not?
Duck Girl    pirate
30/11/2004 at 18:46
Just tried again - 'Test' was title.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.