Verification for Visa payments

This should be my choice

5 messages
17/01/2010 at 13:42

I should not be forced by RW to set up the verification for visa if I don't wish to use it when entering races  on line.  It should be entirely my decision whether I set up yet another bloody password that I will forget. 

I will stop using on-lline entry unless this is removed or made optional.  Other merchants allow the option of not setting it up. so should RW.

17/01/2010 at 13:58

The banks like this sort of additional phase to online card transactions.  This phase is very effective at combatting fraud.

Merchants who don't support it may find that their sites are deemed at 'high-risk' of carrying fraudulent transactions.

Phishers who have illicitly acquired someone's card details often try a small transaction on non-merchandise sites like charities, to check that the card works.  Faking a race entry might serve the same purpose.

So it might not be all down to RW.  It's probably pressure from the bank's anti-fraud team.  Without the additional verification, you might find the transaction gets blocked by the bank's fraud-screening program.

17/01/2010 at 21:49

It's a PITA designed so that the banks can try to blame the customer for any problems. I've certainly shopped elsewhere a fair few times because of it.

Nationwide have a smart-card-reader doodah which they use to verify money transfers online - you use your PIN number - I'd much prefer to use that, because pretty much everyone knows their debit card PIN, we've all been told 100s of times not to write it down, and there's only one reader so short of a burglary or someone in the house it's pretty secure. Whereas ANOTHER BLOODY PASSWORD.... give me strength. 

I understand that overseas they use bank transfers more? How hard would that be - transfer £x to RW with a particular refno - then you would just have to use the normal online banking security.

Sigh.  

18/01/2010 at 07:12
Agreed that the smart card reader is by far the better option from the customer's point of view than the password.  Another good one is an RSA token.  Both of these are also more secure than a password because they're 'two-phase' - something you have, as well as something you know - but of course they cost a lot more for the banks to issue and track
18/01/2010 at 11:56

Hi mava

The extra verification stage was introduced on the instruction of our banking partners in line with current cardholder authentication regulations. We apologise if this has caused you extra frustration in using the system, but hope you can understand our position.

Thanks

Catherine

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.