In short: Excellent race dispite the weather In full: Nice race with great support and good organisation given the awful weather!
I personally couldn't find the official car park i'd paid for so more signs required. I eventially found an alternative one, but the signs to it had been removed when I was trying to find my car again... luckily I found it! Other than that, no real complaints. Course was long due to flooding, but can't be helped! Amazing support from spectators and volunteers who turned out dispite the wind and rain Date of review: May 3, 2012
In short: Lovely course, great organisation, fantastic job!!! In full: I struggled all the way round this marathon due to injury and illness, but the amazing crowd and marathon helpers kept me going! The course was great and I loved seeing everyone on the double backs - the elites and those behind... even saw some friends I knew running! Amazing day and would definitely recommend this race! Date of review: April 19, 2010
In short: Let down by organisation In full: Toilets I didn't think were too bad - yes I queued, but the queue moved ok and it was no worse that other races i've been to.
Mile markers - I didn't see them all, but happy to admit I may have just missed them...
Goodie bag - I could have done with a 'bag' to put things in, but generally wont complain - last year we had a shirt / bag and people complained then too - you'll never please everyone!
I didn't even mind the course in general, and smashed my PB by 18 minutes... The main problems I found were:
1. I didn't see / couldn't find any markers on where to line up, so just guessed. I think I was too far back as I tend to be over cautious! Meant I spent the first few miles trying to get past people!
2. Crowding on the lanes section - I lost maybe a minute or so when the crowd was just too busy for the space and there was no way through
3. Random obstacles - there were all sorts of unmarked things at a good tripping height that I somehow managed to avoid! This was bad for the first 3 or so miles, after that the marshals did better at warning of them
4. Running in traffic at the sea life centre... no idea what happened here as I thought the race was traffic free, but I found myself running between a queue of cars going towards the centre and fully up to speed cars going the other way... not good! managed to get back through and only the pavement before any damage done!
5. Finish line... I was lucky to be through the line before the queue started, but then there was nowhere to go... must get runners to go further before getting chips off! I would have been devastated if i'd had to queue to finish
I have to say i'm a little worried about the full marathon in April now, but hopefully organisers will learn from this experience! Date of review: February 22, 2010