I'm a bit confused about where people think the extra money was going to be spent between 9pm Saturday night and the start of the race on Sunday morning? All costs would surely have been incurred already by the time they were forced to cancel so i doubt they have any money in hand, bar the prize money.
Of course i could be wrong and the organisers were just about the nip down to Tescos to pick up 2000 bottles of powerade when it started snowing...
Hi everyone, just realised there was a thread for this event. Has given me a bit of a wake up call regarding the need to book accommodation!
Am currently averaging around 50mpw (10,10,10,15,7 this week) and planning to stick around this level until the end of Feb. I've entered the 2 day event and not too sure how to approach training for it as it's my first ultra. What distance are people planning to get to on their long runs for those doing the 2 dayer?
I agree with some of the other posters about the amount of road/pavement running on the route as i was also lead to believe it would be mostly trail. As long as the views are good i'll be happy though!
Yes sh*t does happen and the organisers had to make a decision but people are perfectly entitled to have a moan and get things off their chest. Many of us will have trained for this for months and invested significant time/effort in the prep so having a moan is needed to let off some steam.
People have every right to have a rant it if makes them feel better and i'm sure the race organisers have a thick enough skin to take it on the chin. Unfortunately we can't all be as saintly as you Taff Boy, i won't have the chance to run a marathon until autumn 2011 now and can't really afford to chuck £23 down the drain!
This news would have been a lot easier to take if it had come when the organisers said they would assess the situation on Saturday. 48 hours is a LONG time in terms of weather conditions so why did the organisers not wait until Saturday to see if the course had cleared?
I appreciate all the arguments about people getting there/hotel reservations etc. but at the end of the day it is up to those people whether they take a gamble or not cancelling their hotel. For all we know the course could clear within the next 24 hours.