Alli is not actually a Doctor but she is one hell of a competent MST and she knows what to look for. The standard of MST support varied enormously but Darren tried to have a top notch team leader with each group.
Thanks everyone . I will start putting my race report together soon.
The wind played havoc with the RO as well as the Racers. From what I gather one of the major problems was the spread of the field which was made worse by the front runners managing to push ahead of some of the Weather Fronts. Just moving the MSTeams around the corse became a major issue. I suspect that Cragchick had her race cut because they did not have the man power to support the tail enders. The published Cut Off times are all well and good on a normal race where you can predict where runners should be from their pace over the last 6hrs but in this race the weather windows ment that runners could have their pace cut in half if they hit an exp[osed part of the course at the wrong time. I do know that the decision to cut the tail enders would have involved much discussion and calculations taking into account terrain ,weather,pace and how much stopping time(rest) the tail enders had. They will also have talked to the MST on the ground at any previous road head. If the RO had thought there was any way the tail enders could have gone on they would have asked the MST on the ground to consult the runners. The way this happened to Cragchick makes me believe that for the RO with all the information the decision to stop Cragchicks race was unavoidable . They would then not have delegated the decision to the MST who gave her the bad news.
The bottom line is that the RO will do all in their power to get as many runners to the finish line as possible . Its really gutting to have your goal posts moved but I guess thats another reason why the spine is different.
This years Spine carried on in conditions where any other race in Europe would have been canceled. We had only one day (my Bellingham /finish line leg) where a normal Ultra or Fell race would have gone ahead.
Hope this clarifies things. And Cragchick I really feel for you. It,s one thing to DNF and a whole other to be DNF,t out of the blue. In your place I to would have been livid!
Day one Challengers would have been halted before Kinder Scout but most were past the MST,s before wind became more severe. Only 1 in 20 would ever have encountered winds that strong ever! none of the field would ever have run in such conditions before.
Main race start delayed till 11.30.
Driving rain and snow on the nose from dusk hammered anyone not safe in CP1. Many dropped out from "Wind Blindness" Hypothermia and because they were scared shitless!
Day 2 ---Strong winds and some rain. Race halted at around Midnight as wind on PYG reached 100mph! Diversion to Horton put in place. Runner held at Horton and Malam Tarn (some not aware of halt myself included pushed on )
well that was interesting! Apart from the romp across the Cheviots on the last day we had a fight on our hands all the way,
Anyone who made it to the finish this year deserves praise for the guts to just carry on fighting the weather. Apart from th last day on the Cheviots in 3013 , The weather was worse this year.
The final times are difficult to work out due to forced course changes and stops.
From a RO perspective this year was a nightmare! Some halting decisions were forced by the safety teams not being able to get along blocked roads.
I am sorry to hear that you got pulled Cragchick. I do know that every decision to chop off the tail enders was not taken lightly. However once that decision had been made in was not up for negotiation . I will get a race report ready soon and re =edit my blogs.