- our bus to the start. The 2nd worst bus in Durban (think Lowrez was on the worst), driver swaying around, didn't know where he was going AND didn't have any money to pay the toll. One of the runners had to pay it! Lex and I stopped feeling nervous about the race and felt nervous about surviving it to the start. Cashford slept through most of this. Maybe that extra sleep was the difference between his sub 7hr and my 11.45
- I joined a random bus at the top of fields hill. Loved it. I asked what time bus it was buy no one knew, it was just a 'bus'. Brilliant. Loads of singing and cheering. The crowds love a bus too. Really made my comrades experience.
- Felt really good with 15k to go so left the bus. 3k later, wished I hadn't left the bus but I had plenty of time for the finish so took it easy to make sure I got there. Finishing was just mostly a relief. Never has 9k felt so far as it did on the last bit of that race.
- The 1k to go banner which wasn't actually a 1k to go banner was falling down when i got there. 2 guys trying to haul it back up so stop it blocking the road.
- Lowrez going through the extended half way cut off with seconds to spare and still making it (EVERYONE told me that anyone going through this cut off in around 6h10 would not make it. Well we know someone who proved them all wrong!). An awesome story of never stopping moving and never give up.
- Overall what an awesome experience. It's been years since I went abroad for a race and I loved the build up, the friendliness of everyone out there and all that jazz. Glad I got to share this with my old buddy Lex too. I would recommend the experience to anyone. Gutted for anyone that didn't make it, esp those people that only just missed it (Terry). Those few seconds between making it and not are nothing when you are talking about 12 hours but they are everything too.
Just wanted to say good luck to everyone. I hope everyone has an awesome race or at least makes it to the finish line before 5.30pm . This forum has made the race build up much more fun (and distracting during work hours).
Lowrez haven't had chance to say hi yet and have gone to bed in the hope of getting some sleep. Lex and I will be at breakfast at 2 and we are going to walk over to the bus at 2.45. You (and anyone else) are welcome to join. I will have a pink hoodie on and my comrades bag has a patch on it.