Is this one still on the radar of anyone on here? For reasons that would only make sense to an ultra distance runner, after the TDS late August I'm looking for a 100m+ in October sort of time. And despite 200k being quite a lot longer than 100m this is the most interesting option as no laps or returning to base after an out and back. I do love a point-to-point too, nothing better than getting somewhere
I agree with DanA though and if short distances and british hills are hurting you just consider what 60m+ of alps and associated weather and time on feet might do. If you've not got an injury that causes only minor pain/discomfort then you might be able to tough one of these events out assuming you have sufficient pace in the mountains to not meet a time cut-off. But even with no injuries as such your head can always talk you into a DNF.
In 2011 UTMB - with the confidence of a Lakeland 100 completion (just inside time limit) the previous year - I suffered mild altitude sickness and lots of tiredness on first 2000ft+ Col (delayed start to 11pm and I'd been up since 7am which hadn't helped). Started to get pain in one leg and knee and slowed down so much that by Arnuva, 59m and second night I was close to cut-offs and called it a day faced with Grand Col Ferret. In reality I'd underestimated the challenge.
In 2012 I knew my enemy better and trained harder on hills for the TDS. Challenges this time were worse weather and heightened expectations (had my head set I could do 24hours), I got soaked and very cold on the road to Cormet de Roselend and struggled when I simply ran out of energy on the uphill's I struggled to keep going and I couldn't run downhill's. I stopped for a half hour nap at Col du Joly. But didn't want to start again when I got up. In reality I probably could have toughed out a finish within the timeouts - I had over 13 hours left to do the remaining 20 or so miles. Sounds easy sitting here now.
The latter DNF mentioned here bothers me more. As well as good physical training I feel I'm a bit mentally tougher for the TDS this time around after a few more DNF and more long day challenges since then. I now have a few more challenges/questions I can ask myself when I consider hanging up my shoes early - one of which is "you know it might take you nearly as long to be repatriated back to finish as it would to follow the course there? You might as well run, walk, hop, crawl there rather than sit around waiting for busses".
CANCELLATION OF A REGISTRATION IN THE CASE OF INJURY
In the case of injury, and uniquely in this case, which occurs after registration and which can not be cured before the day of the race, the organisation recommends that the injured runner does not put themselves unnecessarily at risk, and that they cancel their registration and request the postponement of their race to the following year. To do this the runner must make a request to the Organisation's Medical Committee. This request must be accompanied by a detailed medical report. If the medical Committee are in agreement, the runner will benefit from a priority registration the following year for the same race.
Only the medical committee can judge these requests and their decision is final.
All requests for postponement must be sent to us, accompanied by the medical report, within, at the latest, 10 days after the event. All requests will be dealt with within the two months following the event.
Hope all of you with injury woes either can get sufficiently recovered in next few weeks or make the call to rebuild for next year (or another great trail race in meantime). jont9, reads to me as you say that no guaranteed place if you do withdraw from this year, just a 'priority registration' for same race the following year...
Runners who have been refused twice for the same race in the draws for 2014 & 2015 and who never transferred their registration to the TDS®, will benefit individuallyfrom a priority registration for the same race (without passing through the draw – under the condition that they have the required points) in 2016.
Hope it all works out well jon. Distance isn't be all and end all for this though, if you have the time I reckon a good hilly fast walk in place of the odd run might offer benefits if that strains the calve less.
Going ok here, my only concern is a slight lack of long days out up till now (an extra day per week sould be nice). Apart from 9hrs on feet on BGR support at start of last month my last long day was a 50 back in april (most other weekends LSR have been 4 hrs or less). Time to remedy this though as a few weeks left to peak I figure. I'm sneaking off mid-month to do two days walk/running on the Cambrian way which is hilly/mountainous I understand. And the 30m Peaks skyrace (peak district) in early August should be a good 6hrs or so on feet I figure.