"Jimbob - you're back on the thread!! Nice to see you dude. Want to try encouraging a few more of the lost back here, otherwise they will be distantly remembered and Natty might lop them off the runners list "
OK, let's break it down then Jimbob:
1) I can't remember the last time you were here on the thread. Maybe I have bad memory, maybe you were here recently and I didn't notice, maybe you haven't been here for a while...?
2) It's nice to see you here. Your presence makes me happy.
3) I reckon there's a whole pile of other friends who used to frequent the thread a lot, that you are in touch with. Your friends, my friends. Perhaps you'd be so kind as to mention this thread when you speak to them again.
4) I worry that these good friends that we share, who have been on the thread in the past but don't seem to be now, will not be known by all the new friends on this thread. One day we may all get to meet up in Paris and it's best that we are not strangers. Knowing you as the sociable guy you are, I reckon that would bother you like it bothers me.
5) A discussion started in the last few days (by me), that there are many names on the combined lists (Mara Runners/ running Events/ birthdays) that just don't make sense any more. I mean there are people there who you don't even know or remember. So it makes sense to prune the list and not just keep on adding names forever. I think it would be a real shame if people who will participate in Paris this year drop off the list because they don't appear on the thread.
Maybe you can send me an email or phone me to let me know what could possibly make you angry about anything at all I said there, because I don't get it JB. I fear you have misunderstood me or read something else into my words.
Emmy - people are busy, not just at the moment. They always are. How many ways can you say you miss your old friends? No one is under any obligation to turn up here. I am sorry that somehow this is making it difficult to be polite. Politeness is very important to me.
Great job KeyserSuze on overcoming the nicotine addiction - that can't be easy at all. Magnificent. Keep reporting in your success! Hope you feel much better and soon.
Peter Stong Wray - I take pride in the fact that my "How to train to run faster" guide has been useful in helping you to record your worst ever HM time (Anyone else want a copy, send me a PM with your email address!). Um seriously though, when you are racing, you throw everything out and keep your HR as high as you can, even for a HM. You only really need to moderate effort to conserve fuelling for races over 90mins/ 2 hrs. I guess you were doing the race as a training effort and weren't worried about times.
Emmy - wow. The approach of your 100 Marathons has come fast (for me), An incredible achievement. One i will not try to emulate, ever. Bravo meisje!
Jimbob - you're back on the thread!! Nice to see you dude. Want to try encouraging a few more of the lost back here, otherwise they will be distantly remembered and Natty might lop them off the runners list
Eggy - good to know your Far Eastern ways are long behind you now and you are setting out into the grim Scottish winter with one thing one your mind - find the mobile Haggis Van! Good to hear you are doing a bit of running training now too. I got on my bike turbo this morning and knocked out an hour of pedalling with a few bursts of high-wattage efforts, managed to hit 97% of MHR a couple of times. I've noticed my RHR has increased from 39 a couple of years ago to 50 now, an increase of 25% (not good at all). Think I've got some hard sessions coming up. I am the unfittest I've been for maybe 7 years.
Well, 6 more days to go until the Winter Solstice and we start tilting back to the Sun in the Northern hemisphere. That day always makes me feel cheerful. The sunshine is just so.... 'tepid' at this time of year in these parts (sorry Charlie4 - I know you guys are burning up down there right now).
Dannirr - does that mean you are already doing light training for Tokyo? When is the race?
Stuchbury - you know we love a good hanger-on here on the 'friendly thread'. Actually running Paris mara is just a bonus right?
Natty - maybe we need to prune that list down a bit. I saw a name on there for someone who ran the mara about 4 years ago and hasn't been seen since. As List Fairy, I think you have authority to do what's needed.