I am with you ladies I'm 53 and getting older is a real bummer isn't it. However I've managed to drop a few pounds to under 10st now at 5'6"and recovered a 28" waist, and amazingly scored PBs at four distances this year so it isn't all bad and there is hope. Not easy and I've had to change a lot of things I've been doing for years but this is what has worked for me so far:
1. Weight training sessions 3x weekly - big weights low reps to build muscle (train like a bloke basically including deadlifts squats and pull-ups);
2. More shorter interval training rather than longer slower cardio-intense runs
3. Fasted training / intermittent fasting - a couple of times a week I don't eat anything substantial until the afternoon.
4. Only two main meals a day with fewer carbs especially grain/sugar and cooked from scratch; drop "vegetable oils" (except olive) in favour of more animal fat and protein. Needing fewer calories means every one has to count nutritionally.
5. Bio-identical hormone replacement (topical progesterone cream) - I'm not sure about this but am giving it a go and it has helped with hot flushes.
6. Vitamin D3 supplementation - 3x RDA
YMMV and it may not work for everyone but after plenty of experimentation I've found that if I continue in this way 80/20% of the time then I can enjoy a few cheats and maintain my weight as it is. I've also found Mark Sisson's overall approach to health quite useful (google website if interested).
I've been trying to enter the Tom Tom GPS watch competition that closes on 31 October as my Garmin is not too well, but on a number of occasions the site hasn't accepted my subscriber number (I rang to confirm it was correct) and I get this message:
Unfortunately we couldn't validate your subscription number at present due to an unspecified error. The team have been informed and will try to rectify this as soon as possible, please try again later.
Can you please give an update as to when this will be fixed?