Posted: 04/02/2007 at 21:02
For those of you who don't already know, a damaged container ship (the
MSC Napoli) has been grounded off part of the coast that we use for the
race. It is currently expected to take at least two months to remove the
two thousand containers on board. When some of them washed up on the
beach a couple of weeks ago, a huge influx of people caused gridlock in
the area and so should any more appear then the police will heavily
restrict access to the Branscombe area, and about two-thirds of the
course will become off-limits to us.
There is therefore a real possibility that the Grizzly will have to be
postponed until the Autumn. Unfortunately, Lyme Bay Holiday Camp is
fully-booked for that time so we would have to find an alternative race
HQ (probably Seaton town hall).
We have decided not to plan an alternative route since, if this
situation occurs, there will be no police available to help manage road
crossings, there's little scope for even a moderately-Grizzlyish course,
and there's even a possibility that Seaton (the start & finish) will
also be closed to us.
We will meet again next weekend and decide then how to proceed but all
entrants will have the option of a refund, regardless of what we decide.
In the meantime, we will clarify the refund situation with the holiday
camp, identify a suitable fallback date, and remain in touch with the
police. We expect to mail information to all runners on Monday 12th.
We appreciate that this is not a particularly good situation to be in
but ask you to bear with us.