Posted: 27/09/2015 at 16:34
and indeed it is good , so here we gone with one of my reports (dont think I have done one for a while.
Solent Half (New Forest),
First of all, this is just a lovely race, in a wonderful setting that takes in Exbury and Lepe (coatal road), its not flat but not hilly either, just mildly playful the first half in essance is down and the second half is up. My plan was to run at 7:15's, I have not raced a half for close on 22 months, I have done other halfs but for fun.... so I wanted to get inside 95 mins.....
1) 7:08 - mass start on the grass and trying to find a pace that works
2) 7:05 - the crowd settles and start running with people I know and feeling good, but resist the urge to run faster
3) 7:05 - Oh I like this, relaxed effort, and overtake one team mate and catch up with two others
4) 7:10 - working well with other two team mates, one of whom has done a 7m warm up (mara trg), but he pulls away at the water stop
5) 7:02 - Post water and now pulled away from one team mate, whilst other has gone out of sight..... still with a small group of 4-5, two of whom I know well and were wanting same times, 1st gel had also been taken and felt the benifit...
6) 7:03 - Heading towards the coast so down a tad, feeling strong and find myself in no mans land working by myself as had pulled away from the group (had I pulled out to much too quick)?
7) 6:58 - Oh I like this, Im cooking here and in cruise control, go through half way in 46:30, and now in sight of 4th lady (a club mate)
8) 7:13 - a bit of up and downs before hitting the coast and the wind, so still happy, but starting to feel it now..... aware am being closed back in by group I left two miles back or so...
9) 7:20 - The first hill so to speak, the drag up from the coast, the chasing group has got me but not passed, take the opportunity to tuck in and take my second gel.
10) 7:11 - Gel has an immediate effect and I start to fly on the undulations and pull back away from the group and start picking off runners, about 5 in this mile... and eventually catch 4th lady and team mate
11) 7:27 - I am delighted with this mile despite the time, as this has a killer hill in it that I work well off the top of it (as was over 8mm going up it) again moving easily through the runners again 5 maybe 6 fall by the way side.....
12) 7:11 - the most boring part of the course as you can see fawley Oil plant and the road is a straight drag.... but carry on pushing and rewarded with a good mile, only 2-3 runners this mile I am able to pass
13) 7:14 - 1 to go and I start to suffer for the first time, there is a short up and down just before the 13m marker and I lose two places, one to a faster runner and the other to a guy I had just passed, legs have gone for a walk..... as i start the jelly leg walk / run
13.13) 0.47 this last bit hurt on the thickish grass, managed to somehow hold off the sprinter behind me and get across the line.... totally gone and spent.....
86th from 352, 1:33:54, so well within my target and happy as was still able to push on the harder 2nd halp with less than a minute positive split.....
This is a good result for me for where I am at at present, but 10 mins off PB pace from 3 years ago, I want to get back to that time over the next two years... that is the plan and it started today with a line in the sand... next half is 15/11/15 at Gosport.