Posted: 06/02/2014 at 18:10
1. What if I get into difficulty swimming, do the wetsuits keep you afloat?
To a point yes they help you float, but if you get into difficulty, lie on your back, wave your arms and a canoe / boat / someone will come and check you're ok. It really is actually quite difficult to sink though - try it in the pool sometime
2. How do you refuel during the event, surely you cant last on carb gels alone for 13-15 hours?
Some people do, some don't. I had gels, drinks, crisps, pork scratchings and whatever was on the feed stations. Practice it in training first though.
3. Do you include brick sessions in your training?
Yes - bike to run is always good. Gets you more used to the jelly leg feeling. How long you run for afterwards depends how much training you want to do
4. What distances should I be aiming for upto in training for swimming, running and cycling?
Quite a lot of people say you want to have swum the distance, or very close to, ridden 100 miles+. As for the run then maybe 3hours plus
5. In a just get round level of fitness should I be doing any brick sessions of all 3 disciplines and what distance at my peak.
If you get a good plan there will be step up races suggested along the way. Look for the DIY half ironman thread - that will give you an idea of all three plus nutrition strategy etc. I don't think I've heard of anyone doing all three regularly
6. It starts at 6am yes, so best staying in a hotel yes night before. I live in Halifax so an hour away on the motorway.
Up to you. Hotel should give you a better nights kip, but can you get what you want to eat when youw ant to eat t. I'd be tempted to stay at home if i was only an hour away
7. How do your friends and family track you and come to watch as supporters on the day. Where is best for them to watch?
No idea at Bolton, but Ironman website has a tracker for everyone who isnt there
8. Is there toilets around the courses, obviously not swimming lol.
9. Does anyone walk the marathon part just to get round and finish?
I did, but then I had enormous blisters etc etc (roll out all the excuses) if it gets your round, it gets you round
10. I presume it hurts more then a marathon lol