With Shrove Tuesday looming, we celebrate a tasty alternative for winter carb-loading with RW's complete guide to pancakes
Makes: 16 x 10cm pancakes Serves: 8
150g plain white flour
50g wholewheat flour
30g rolled oats
4 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
120ml skimmed milk (or water)
2 large eggs
2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus a drop more for frying
1 tsp vanilla extract
What to do
(1) Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a low heat.
(2) Mix the flour, cornmeal, oats, sugar, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
(3) Microwave the buttermilk and milk for 30 seconds. Whisk in the eggs, oil and vanilla extract.
(4) Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and whisk until just combined.
(5) Turn the heat up to medium and brush the pan with oil. When the oil starts to spider, pour in the batter 60ml at a time.
(6) When the pancake bottoms are golden brown and the tops start to bubble (two to three minutes), flip the pancakes over; cook until golden brown. Repeat, brushing the pan with oil each time.
Per serving (two pancakes): Calories 296, carbs 26g, fibre 2g, protein 8g, fat 6g
Next up, toppings...