Runner's recipes with Sarah
Brown rice is our runner super food of the month, Sarah tells us why it should be on your shopping list and shares some delicious recipes to spice up your weekday meal times.
Easy veggie curry
I love dishes that don't require excessive culinary skills or time slaving over a hob. This simple curry is the easiest way to get your 5 or even 9 a day! Be liberal with your vegetables, spray with low calorie olive oil spray or a glug of olive oil, roast and then simply add into a pan with coconut milk and some more veggies – couldn’t be easier. The curry is also great reheated so make a liberal portion and package it up for tomorrow's lunch, served with a wholemeal pitta.
- For the oven - Mixed vegetables for roasting of your choice – a red onion, courgette, butternut squash, sweet potato, red pepper, aubergine (very delicious in this curry).
- For the pan – 5-6 Baby corn, halved, 4 long stem broccoli, handful of mange tout (adds some crunch)
- Handful of cashew nuts
- One can of reduced fat coconut milk/coconut milk light
- Curry paste (to taste. I prefer thai green curry paste)
- Serving of brown rice, cooked as per packet instructions
- Cube all the vegetables roughly and place in a roasting dish. Add the olive oil/spray and season and roast in a preheated oven (around 220/200 for fan oven) and roast for around 30 minutes.
- Once roasted pour the coconut milk and curry paste (to taste) into a wok, add the vegetables and leave to simmer while cooking the rice.
- Add baby corn, broccoli and mange tout about 5 minutes before the end, as well as the cashew nuts so these ingredients remain crunchy. Sprinkle with coriander and serve with the brown rice.
Sarah is our resident personal trainer and nutritionist; find out more about Sarah here.
Discuss this article