Spice up your life with this classic Mexican dish.
Created by TV chef Gizzi Erskine, this twist on the classic Mexican breakfast dish is ready in just ten minutes - and it's a great source of protein.
Preparation: 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- a splash red wine vinegar
- a good handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g can refried beans
- 4 small corn tortillas
- 2-3 tablespoons light olive or vegetable oil
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- 1 avocado, finely chopped
- Chilli sauce (to serve)
1 Heat the oil in a small frying pan. Add in the garlic and chilli and stir fry for 1 minute or until the garlic starts to soften and go golden.
2 Add in the tomatoes, tomato purée, red wine vinegar and half of the coriander. Cook for 9 minutes over a medium heat, then season to taste.
3 Heat up the refried beans in a small saucepan. Heat a frying pan and toast the corn tortillas in them for 20-30 seconds on each side and lay two on each plate.
4 Put the oil in the pan and fry the eggs for 1-2 minutes, basting the yolks with the hot oil as you go.
Many thanks to British Lion Eggs for providing this recipe.