Cooking time 22 mins + cooling
1. Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the quinoa and toast until fragrant and slightly darker in colour (about two minutes).
2. Add the water, cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked (about 20 minutes). Leave to cool.
3. Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking the garlic, cumin, mustard, kefir, salt and pepper. Then slowly whisk in the oil.
4. Place the remaining ingredients – the kale, kidney beans, apricots, onion and coriander – in a large bowl. Add the quinoa and dressing. Toss everything to coat, then serve.
- 170g quinoa
- 500ml water
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tbsp coarse-grain Dijon mustard
- 90ml plain kefir
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 500g washed kale, finely chopped
- 410g tin of
kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 150g dried apricots, chopped
- ¼ red onion, coarsely chopped
- 15g fresh coriander, chopped
•The yoghurt-style fermented milk kefir is a gut-friendly probiotic and a rich source of essential amino acids that promote healing and repair.
•Quinoa is rich in magnesium, an antioxidant which helps prevent damage to mitochondria (your cells’ power producers) during energy production.
•Kale is a rich source of iron, essential for transporting oxygen to various parts of the body, and calcium for strong bones.
Nutrition per serving