The Runner's Handbook by Bob Glover, Jack Shepherd and Shelly-Lynn Florence Glover

Summary | Full Review | Reader Reviews | Gallery | Discussion
 The Runner's Handbook by Bob Glover, Jack Shepherd and Shelly-Lynn Florence Glover

Our Review

An unintimidating guide to all aspects of running, including weight training, diet and running technique.

Reader Reviews

1 user review of The Runner's Handbook by Bob Glover, Jack Shepherd and Shelly-Lynn Florence Glover See all

Overall reader score
It is a book that includes all the basic guidance on how to start running and progress to start competative running. If you are starting to run for fitness then you need look no further for information. Continue reading...


Does anyone use over-the-counter (or, more accurately, hanging on a rack in the foot section of the chemist) orthotic inserts? These things aren't cheap -- £16-£22 a pair on average -- but they claim to correct the universal foot by, I guess, forcing it to conform to the appropriate standard footbed. One size fits all maybe, but a hell of a lot cheaper than a visit to a (dodgy) podiatrist and a set of custom orthoses.

Running shops that I respect (the independent ones) also carry them -- often a good sign -- but before I waste yet more of the wife's cash on running gear, I thought I'd ask whether anyone has any positive or negative experiences with them?

Posted: 25/11/2006 at 22:54

I've started using Sorbothane double strike inserts, just as extra shock-absorbers though rather than to correct my gait. Seem fine so far.

Posted: 26/11/2006 at 08:03

i use orthoheel sport orthotics from boots, they are just slightly under the arch height i need so my chiropodist puts a heel wedge on them for about £5 so at £25 they're a lot cheaper than having them custom made. if you over-pronate they could be fine for you, give them a try and see. at that price you don't have much to loose.

Posted: 26/11/2006 at 13:35

I use the 'superfeet' ones. Retail around £30. they have a plastic wedge under the arch to limit over-pronation. They replace the insole in your shoe. Buy from outdoor shops.

Posted: 26/11/2006 at 17:35

Also have a look at I have custom made orthoses but I bought a pair of work shoe insoles from Dr Foot for my walking boots. I find them very comfy.

They do a sports version.

Posted: 26/11/2006 at 17:50

My running shop stocks off-the-shelf orthotics, but they also have a podiatrist to help fit them. She doesn't always use the ready made ones if she doesn't think they will do any good.

I think the important thing here is to get all orthotics, off-the-shelf or cusom made, assessed by a podiatrist. You need a specialist to make sure that you select the right ones for you.

My GP (who has a particular interest in long-term problems caused by poor gait and posture) will no longer recommend off-the-shelf orthotics as he says that they do more harm than good and they can lead to further problems if not fitted properly.

Having said that, if you are the one in a million person for who ready made orthotics are designed to fit, then you might as well save yourself some money (custom-mades start from £40 but typically cost over £100).

Posted: 28/11/2006 at 10:57

Summary | Full Review | Reader Reviews | Gallery | Discussion