Our score:

Your score:

Add a review

Add a comment...

hi i have started training for my 1st triathlon and need to know what the current market states as good running shoes for heavy runners - i am about 21 stone - too many pies!

Brooks Summon?

Nike air pegasus(current shoes)?

New Balance?

any advice appreciated

Posted: 03/03/2009 at 20:03

Get yourself to a proper running store to get your gait assessed. Most well cushioned shoes are suitable enough but you need to find out if you need neutral/support/motion control. I used to be 23 stone myself so good luck with it.

Posted: 03/03/2009 at 20:14

Agree with BG - main thing to know is what your running style is and therefore what category of shoe you need.

Once you know this all the brands have comparable models - pick the one that fits/feels best for you. As a heavier runner I tend to look at the higher end models as they tend to last longer and suit my weight better. Downside is they cost more, but you need to watch out with cheaper models as you may go through them quicker. Even with top end shoes (currently wearing Mizuno Creation 10) I replace them every 300 miles or so.

Posted: 04/03/2009 at 12:23

I fluctuate between 18 and 20 stone and after many months of searching found that Brooks Radius 7  work  well for me on road and treadmill.

Posted: 14/10/2009 at 08:41

as said - go get a proper gait analysis done so you can buy the correct shoes

and a warning - many shops will assume because you're heavy you need support shoes which frankly is bollocks - the assumption that is!

many heavy runners - me included - started with support shoes as we knew no better but I found problems. it was then I found out that I'm a neutral runner so switching shoes sorted the problem - did feck all for my weight but that's a different story!

and you will need to replace them more frequently than lightweight runners do as you wear the soles and cushioning out quicker

Posted: 14/10/2009 at 09:36

Avoid being reccomended shoes unless you have had a gait  analysis as not all shoes suit all runners.

Posted: 17/10/2009 at 14:02

I'd be surprised if you found Pegasus to be the best shoe for you. They are generally pretty spongy & plush - great for neutral, lighter runners. You might find something with a bit more robust cushioning would be better if you discover you are a neutral gait, and they would probably die pretty quickly too. They wouldn't be suitable if you need more medial support.

Posted: 19/10/2009 at 13:25

We'd love you to add a comment! Please take half a minute to register as a free member

RW competitions