Mizuno Wave Creation 9

Summary | Full Review | Reader Reviews | Gallery | Specs | Discussion
Your score:

Add a review

Add a comment...

Just bought a pair of Mizuno Wavve Creation 9 but haven't tried them out yet apart from on the treadill in the shop, where they felt ok. However i'm a bit concerned by a slating of a review I've just read on this site. Can anybody else throw any light on these new releases. I must admit I went in for a pair of asics gel kinsei 2 but they were too high on the ankle and rubbed. I've had mizuno wave rider 9s in the past and I felt they were a bit hard on the road. I'm currently running in saucony triumph 5s which are ok.. the shop had limited size availability hence the mizunos this time. As Ive not worn them Ive still got the chance to return if the general concensus is theyre a pup.

Posted: 22/02/2008 at 22:49

I use the wave rider sometimes. A hard ( and hard wearing ) shoe that is great for long training runs. Really it depends if they work for you. If they feel good to you give them a rip, then do the review. You might just win the £50 prize if your review is good which may pay for new shoes. 

Posted: 22/02/2008 at 23:37

I've worn the Creations for a number of versions and am very disappointed in the 9s. They have the same midsole and outsole as the 8s which were a good shoe, but the upper has been changed and (in my opinion) they've made a real mess of it.

The midsole uses the new 'infinity wave' which works really well if you're fairly heavy. I'm around 16st so have no problem squashing it, but even I find it fairly firm and would guess they would be hard for lighter runners (although this is only a guess). Bizarrely I find they get firmer in cold weather than warm, so don't know if the plastics harden in lower temperatures ? Never had this on any other shoe.

The real problem with the 9 is the upper has elasticated panels. Version 8 fitted really well, but I guess Mizuno's needed to 'improve' it and have made an attempt to match Asics with their stretchy uppers. On the Creation the new upper looks and feel like a cheap, nasty, half designed job that irritates my feet and makes the shoes unwearable. Like all things fit related it may be just me and others may find them the most comfortable things ever, who knows ?

I'm now looking for version 8 on the web and with luck I'll find enough to keep me going until version 10 when I hope they'll have sorted things.

Posted: 23/02/2008 at 00:49

one of the things about shoes is that different things work better for different people, i had clients who loved the creation 7 but hated the infinity wave of the 8 in saying that the few pairs of 9 which have gone so far have been well received.  I use the nirvana and find the upper fit works well for me [same technology aqs the creation] but as they say each to their own  may be able to help on the 8s dependant on size

Posted: 25/02/2008 at 19:09

I think Mizuno Wave Creation 9 is great and an improvement on version 8.  Sorry to disagree with site review and above posts, but as footman says different shoes work better for different people.  I'm not particularly heavy (12st approx) and don't find they're too hard in way recovery runner suggests and the cushioning also helps protect my back.  Last race I ran two weeks back was second in my age category so they're doing the business for me.

Posted: 25/02/2008 at 21:54

Hi folks. are we talking the pink and orange creations?????  I have heard that they are quite nice but have yet to try them on.  I have a rather nice lime green Creation 8 which are lovely.  For those interested, there are still some of the 8s on sale in various shops.

Posted: 07/03/2008 at 15:35

Interesting to see some sites are now selling the Creation 9 for less than the Creation 8 (e.g. Start Fitness). May be just a coincidence, but I still don't like the 9......

Posted: 07/03/2008 at 20:59

I have to admit that since running a lot more in Creation 9,  I've changed my mind.  The elasticated left side of the shoe is a bad idea and it had started to hurt/irritate my left foot.  Have just switched to Wave Riders, which I'd been thinking of doing anyway, given they're lighter and should be okay for my weight.  Still think Wave Creations are the best shock absorbing shoes around but Recovery Runner is right on this one, the update isn't good.  Thought it best to admit that I'm wrong - they did seem okay at first.

Posted: 09/03/2008 at 19:44

thanks for your opinions guys. I actually returned the shoes and got my money back, tried a different shop for advice and gait analysis, (Up and Running Sheffield who were great and ordered in quite a few makes in my size to try out). Ended up now with a pair of Cumulus 9 which I'm  pleased with.

Posted: 13/03/2008 at 12:39

I can't believe that you have let the opinions of others make a decision on the shoe, i think there is a culture of sheep like behaviour emerging here, if the shoe felt fine on the tread mill and you haven't run any more in it how can you decide that it is a bad shoe for you...well at least you didn't run them for 20  miles in the mud then take them back

I just can't believe that people will make a decision on the most important bit of running kit you own based on a handfull of experiences on an internet forum

edit to remove stupid typos

Posted: 13/03/2008 at 13:20

Oh... good luck with the new shoes by the way

Posted: 13/03/2008 at 13:34

valid point footman but I'm actually not that naive. I took the shoes back weeks ago after giving them a trial run outside on a dry day so as not to ruin the sole. the shop were ok about it anyway as they let me run round the block near there shop in the past fittings anyway. they were definitely not the shoe for me as I found myself running quite high on my toes due to the height of the wave system.I havent been on the forum for a while to let others opinions cloud my judgement on this. just thought it would be worth getting an idea of how they performed after a few miles. ( see RmcDs entries) as I never really got on with the wave riders.

Tried about 6 pairs of different shoes on since so I think Ive made the right choice.

Ps do sheep wear trainers?

Posted: 13/03/2008 at 21:18

sheep ...now theres a market opertunity, 2 pairs at a time

Posted: 16/03/2008 at 13:58

does that mean they use the same baaaaaa code?

Posted: 16/03/2008 at 21:42

We'd love you to add a comment! Please take half a minute to register as a free member