Saucony ProGrid Triumph 5

Summary | Full Review | Reader Reviews | Gallery | Specs | Discussion
Your score:

Add a review

Add a comment...

BKL

I have worn Asics Nimbus fo ryears and the new 9 just doe snot suit my foot. Keep getting blisters, not keen on the wave creation either now (loved old ones) so....

What can i wear?

Brooks glyceryn, Saucony Grid triumph or what?

I need one to take my wieght fo rlong distances and is comfy...advice welcoemd and requested

Posted: 17/02/2008 at 22:49

try the Asics Cumulus instead - more neutral than Nimbus I believe.

I'm 16 stone and have run in Cumulus for about 3 years now with no issues and done many a long run in them up to marathon distnace

and - maybe change your sock brand?? they maybe causing the blisters rather than the shoes

Posted: 18/02/2008 at 09:46

Hi! I would recommend going to a proper shop and being filmed to make sure you have the correct trainers. I got some new ones - a slightly different type but one that was recommended to me for my feet, but had some trouble. Then when I went to a proper running shop (thought I would as I am training for FLM), I was shown on film my ankle turning inwards. I would seriously recommend getting proper advice if you dont want injuries. Good Luck.

Posted: 18/02/2008 at 19:10

BKL
Just been to running in shop in london, have come away wiht 2 to use: Saucony Triumph and the nike San 5, the latter has a little stability apparnetly. we will see.

Posted: 21/02/2008 at 17:23

BL I'd be interested to know how you get on. 

I had a pair of Nike Perseus ( which I'm told is the forerunner to the Nike Span 5) - had no problems in these, went back to running shop, filmed on the treadmill and told I'm a neutral runner so advised to get cushioning shoe , so bought Saucony Progrid Triumph.  Had previously been told that one of my feet slightly overpronates.   I've run in these for about 3 weeks now gradually building up mileage and I'm still not sure.  Have a few niggles in my left outer ankle and rt achilles when I first start out which I didn't have with Nike P, but there again I am building up mileage for FLM.  Shoes feel great once I'm into the run but haven't run further than 8 miles in them as have used my Nike P for longer runs.

Went back to running shop today and bought Nike Span (Nike P's worn down).  So I have between now and April 13 to decide which are the ones for me.  Doing Blackpool Half on Sunday so will try out the Saucony's.

Posted: 22/02/2008 at 16:56

Brandon - if you're neutral you're likely to need one of the bigger cushioning shoes - all manufacturers have them in their ranges and a few have been mentioned above. Good examples are Asics Nimbus, Saucony Triumph, Mizuno Creation, Asics Adistar Cushion, Nike Vomero 2 etc.

All are intended for the same type of runner but can feel very different - Nike Vomero is very soft whereas Mizuno Creation is very firm and supportive for example. Best idea is to go to a good shop and try them and go for the ones you like best. Ideally go somewhere with video analysis as they'll be able to tell if you really are neutral and if the shoes suit you.

Posted: 22/02/2008 at 17:21

Bugger - meant Adidas Adistar Cushion.

Posted: 22/02/2008 at 17:22

BKL

Got the Nike Span 5 + and wore them today, very comfy. Felt ok but then only did 2 miles for a stretch and test.

Will try out the Saucony Triumph tomorrow and in the week will wear each for 8-10 mile runs and report back further.

Posted: 22/02/2008 at 17:36

Can't imagine the Span 5 will have enough cushioning for long distances - if they do they're likely to break down fast. They're a lightweight stability shoe, designed for someone about 5st lighter than you.....

Posted: 23/02/2008 at 00:52

BKL
yeah, found that a bit yesterday they were ok but not cushioned enough. I do lov ethe vomeo though, really nice and soft.

Posted: 23/02/2008 at 15:09

BKL
Saucony ProGrid Paramount

anyone tried these? 

Posted: 23/02/2008 at 15:26

As someone who's spent/wasted alot of money on finding the 'perfect' running shoe over the years, my advice would be - don't fall for the marketing hype. If you find a shoe you like and that works for you, stick with it. Go buy some more Vomeros and get on with running.

Posted: 24/02/2008 at 18:08

Progrid paramount: aimed at over-pronators, the Nike vomero is the heavier neutral shoe I thought. The Paramounts were a nice ride, but in the end I got more stability from the brooks infinity for my style of running, and more forefoot cushioning as well.

Nothing quite like trying shoes on your feet. Once you found something that you really like, try and stick with it. Why fix what ain't broken?

Posted: 27/02/2008 at 08:51

BKL
just done 18.5 miles in my vomeros, cool! sticking wiht them now.

Posted: 27/02/2008 at 14:10

We'd love you to add a comment! Please take half a minute to register as a free member

RW competitions