Salomon SpeedCross 2

Summary | Full Review | Reader Reviews | Gallery | Specs | Discussion
Our score:

Your score:

Add a review

Add a comment...

Light, responsive shoe with great flex and grip, gives you a fantastic feel for the trail... Salomons best shoe for snow - mud...

Posted: 26/01/2010 at 19:45

GREAT in the snow & mud,was turned on to these by a mountain biker,he wasn't wrong,a good,light but sturdy shoe,plenty of grip,they've been a godsend in the snow.

Would definitely recommend them to anyone starting out trail running. 

Posted: 27/01/2010 at 13:09

I second what Seanovleeds says - i got a pair for Xmas and have only use them in snow so far  (not running at present as post hernia operation) but they were brilliant in the snow and can't wait to get stuck into the mud!!!!

Posted: 27/01/2010 at 15:11

I second the snow ability. I walked out with a friend. He wore Meindl Lhotse walking boots (pretty hardcore) and wore the Speedcross 2's. Mine had more grip in the snow than his! Had mine for 4+ months and have run 300+ miles without any fuss at all.

Posted: 02/02/2010 at 14:22

I want a pair! :O(

Posted: 06/02/2010 at 09:00

I would endorse what everyone has said. I do a lot of off road running and these a great winter shoes. One thing that has not been mentioned is that because the bottom of the shoe is flat (but with rubber studs)along with having great grip it is much better at shedding mud than any other trail shoes I have tried.

The shoes although not waterprooof seem to shed water well. The speed lace system makes it easy to keep them tight when the mud is trying to suck them off but easy to loosen them when you feet start to swell.

There feels to be less forefoot cushioning than with some Salomons, however I have run up to 30m in them although they are probably more suited to mid distance running.

Posted: 07/02/2010 at 18:17

Got a pair of these last week and first run was across the fields through a lot of sucking, clay mud.. they were great. I was running in the dark with a tiny torch so did not have much time to adjust my stride for obstacles etc but I did not have one slip or hairy moment in them.

Now I can see what all the fuss was about regarding these trainers. V easy to clean too as the rubber studs are spaced well and mud just shakes off.

Posted: 10/02/2010 at 18:32

I had a pair of these and quite liked them, however they tend to suck up water in the wet. I now prefer Mizuno Wave Ascend 5s which tend to dry out quicker.

Posted: 18/09/2010 at 14:47

I am new to trail running but these sound like a good shoe - where do I get a pair in London - need to try them on and not buy online ....how do they come up for size?  Will they be any good for Hellrunner?

Posted: 30/09/2010 at 22:01

I prefer the Speedcross 2 over the XT wings as it has a narrower sole at the heel. The XT wings wide sole can cause the shoe to tip over on rocky trails.

Posted: 01/10/2010 at 17:05

I need a shoe with motion control would these be any good for me.Also are they a true size or do you have to go up half a size?

Posted: 06/10/2010 at 13:11

Hi, I have been readng up on this because I am thinking of doing trail running. I am most definetly doing the hadirans wall (5 days 84 miles), wonder if these would be any good, its in june & thye suggest trainers & not shoes. Any ideas? Regards Garry

Posted: 25/12/2010 at 16:21

Isn't it about time for a review of the Speedcross 3s?

Posted: 10/11/2011 at 15:28

I keep getting adverts for the Speedcross 3 & 3CS. I do a lot of trail running on mixed surfaces, often with quite a lot of mud & water, but also on hard lumpy surfaces. I'm in my early 60s & have problems with my right heel & back of the ankle and left ankle. I'm currently using a Salomon XA Pro 3D ultra, which is great on heavy ground but I can feel my heel/ankles on hard ground, and Asics Gel Trail Sensor 5 for when the whole course is hard, but not when it's muddy. I'd welcome any views/experience on whether the Speedcross might help.

Posted: 29/06/2012 at 14:19

We'd love you to add a comment! Please take half a minute to register as a free member