Travel Insurance: Getting Started
Discover how to make a claim and the insurance companies to choose from
Making a claim
Making a claim will involve different steps, depending on whether you are claiming for lost/damaged luggage or medical expenses. But here are some basic rules:
1. Keep your policy documents and number with you.
2. Write down dates and times of what has happened, and get a police crime number if necessary.
3. Call your insurer for guidance as soon as you have a problem - this could be the difference between a successful and unsuccessful claim.
4. Do what your insurer tells you - don't be creative about the advice; you may have your claim refused.
5. If you need to make a medical claim or have treatment this must first be approved by your insurer.
6. Photograph the scene - use your mobile phone camera if necessary to get the aspect of any accident, damage to property or people.
7. Get the names and addresses of any witnesses. They may come in handy if a claim needs to be verified.
Discuss this article