Breakfast of champions
A little effort in the kitchen will set you up for a good day’s work and some serious training.
Best for detox: Greek yoghurt with blueberries
• 60g rolled oats and 30g sliced almonds
• 15g light brown sugar
• 10ml vegetable oil
• ½ tbsp honey
• Pinch of cinnamon and dash of vanilla
• 25g raisins and blueberries
• 150g natural Greek yoghurt
684kcal; carbs 85g; protein 25g; sat fat 3g
1. Preheat oven to 150°C/gas mark 2. Mix the oats, sugar, almonds and cinnamon.
2. In a saucepan warm the vegetable oil and the honey; whisk in the vanilla.
3. Pour this over the oat mixture and stir.
4. Spread it in a baking pan.
5. Bake for 40 minutes, stirring regularly. Allow to cool, then stir in the raisins.
6. Finally, add the yoghurt with the granola mixture and top with blueberries, then serve.
Blueberries are high in phytonutrients, those plant compounds that have been shown to play a vital part in maintaining good health. Blueberries contain antioxidants that help protect the body from the unstable molecules called free radicals. As for yoghurt, a study at University of California School of Medicine in the US found that 170g of yoghurt a day offered protection against colds and hay fever. And honey also contains antioxidants, the amount and level of which depend on the source of the honey.
Discuss this article