Breakfast of champions
A little effort in the kitchen will set you up for a good day’s work and some serious training.
Best for muscle: Steak and Eggs
• 300g rump or sirloin steak
• 2 free-range eggs
• A good glug of olive oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
668kcal; carbs 1g; protein 93g; saturated fat 14g
1. Pour olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and heat it until you see the oil start to smoke.
2. Place your steak in the oil and fry for 4-5 mins on each side (for medium rare). Season while in the pan.
3. Remove steak while you fry your eggs.
4. Add more oil to the same pan, the heat turned down, and combine with the steak juices.
5. Crack your eggs into the oil and fry gently until the whites are just set and the yolks runny. Serve immediately with the steak.
Most people fill up on pasta before training, but it’s easy to binge on easily digestible starchy carbohydrates and the excess is stored as fat. Lean meats and eggs, on the other hand, slow down digestion, so you feel full for longer. Furthermore, eggs contain all the essential amino acids needed for good health. Lean steak is packed with iron, which is needed for efficient delivery of oxygen to the muscles, and its high protein content will help repair, build and maintain muscle.
Discuss this article