A 95-Mile Warm Down

Anything to avoid the trains...

Posted: 21 April 2011
by Sam Robson 2

Finish In St. Ives
Celebrating after crossing the real finish line 120 miles later in St. Ives

I have never run a marathon race before, so it was a fantastic opportunity to run in the Virgin London Marathon for my first. However, I decided to go the extra mile, and tacked on a little post-marathon run to my day - an extra 95 miles to be exact. I had decided to run the marathon, then run straight home again to St. Ives, Cambridgeshire.

I chose to do this to raise money for the Epilepsy Society (www.epilepsysociety.org.uk), a charity who work to help promote understanding of epilepsy, research the causes of epilepsy, and help care for those for whom epilepsy can have a terrible toll. I have epilepsy myself but am incredibly lucky that my seizures can be controlled by medication.

The marathon itself was fantastic. Lining up amongst the other thousands of runners, all keen to set off to make it around the 26.2 miles of the London course in the glorious sunshine, the atmosphere was incredible. I completed the race in a respectable 3:47:45, but didn't stop there. After crossing the line and restocking up on supplies, I made my way out of London, north towards my home town of St. Ives.

My route followed the Greenwich Meridian, passing through farm land and bridleways. I was alone for the majority of the time, meeting up intermittently with a small crew of dedicated friends and my beloved fiancee Jen to restock my supplies. I even found the time to blog my travels, mainly so that my mother could follow me and check that I was alive!

The run went surprisingly smoothly, with only a few minor blisters caused by excessive moisture overnight. My legs felt strong throughout, and at 2:45pm the following day I made it to my destination. A final 200m sprint finish saw me breaking through the finishing line, after 29 hours of running with no sleep, to the cheers of a crowd of people in the town centre.

I woke up the following day feeling surprisingly fresh, with only two rather pathetic blisters and a slightly sore hip to show for my troubles. We managed to raise over £4,000 and, more importantly, generated a lot of publicity for the Epilepsy Society. Now, only three days after finishing, I am already thinking up ways of topping this, and planning on signing up for my first official ultra-marathon to see how I do in a race situation.

Previous article
Lorraine and Linda running our first marathon for Motor Neurone Disease
Next article
London Marathon At 50!


Discuss this article

Wow - now that's impressive Sam -huge congratulations!

Posted: 01/05/2012 at 23:24

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member

Smart Coach
Free, fully-personalized training plans, designed to suit your racing goals and your lifestyle.