How the results were calculated
This list was calculated using ratings given by respondents on www.runnersworld.co.uk after they took part in the races. We worked out the average of the 'overall' rating runners gave races, to arrive at a figure between 0 and 100%, allowing us to rank them. This chart represents races that received between 25 and 49 responses.
Key to percentages
After each event title, you will see some key statistics relating to that race. These are: (Overall Score, How Many People Would Do It Again, Number Of Ratings)
Your Top 50 Races
1. High Legh 10K (99%, 100%, 28 ratings)
Where? Cheshire When? February 22
Community atmosphere, slick organisation, homemade cakes and a bulging goody bag – what more could you want?
2. Ultimate Trail Race 16K (98%, 99%, 38 ratings)
Where? Cumbria When? March 23
Plough through ancient woodland trails to earn an authentic Cartmel sticky toffee pudding.
3. Saab Salomon Turbo X, Mugdock (97%, 98%, 32 ratings)
Where? Glasgow When? September 12
It's been billed as the "ultimate trail challenge", and like any race in the popular Saab Salomon Turbo-X series there are plenty of ups and downs, as well as mud galore.
4. PUMA Derwentwater Trail 14K (96%, 98%, 29 ratings)
Where? Cumbria When? September 6
Enjoy some of the most dramatic mountain trails in the UK and panoramic views over Derwentwater and the Lakeland fells.
5. Race The Train (96%, 100%, 36 ratings)
Where? Gwynedd When? August 15
Does what it says on the tin – your chance to race a steam train amid vertiginous valleys over all manner of terrain.
6. Guy Fawkes 10 (96%, 97%, 29 ratings)
Where? North Yorkshire When? November 1
Forest trails, quaint Yorkshire villages and an epic finish in castle grounds give this scenic race a festive atmosphere.
7. Water of Life Half-Marathon (95%, 100%, 31 ratings)
Where? Buckinghamshire When? March 22
Follow the Thames as it meanders through beautiful countryside and raise money for World Water Day.
8. Steyning Stinger Marathon (95%, 92%, 25 ratings)
Where? West Sussex When? March 1
A generous dose of hills, muddy conditions and the occasional stile or gate make this the ideal off-road challenge for long-distance aficionados.
9. Meon Valley Plod 20 (95%, 95%, 37 ratings)
Where? Hampshire When? March 1
Leg-crumbling hills and lashings of mud make this a punishing cross-country number, whose obstacles are agreeably offset by its beautiful locale and generous refreshment stations.
10. Bookham 10K (95%, 98%, 43 ratings)
Where? Surrey When? February 8
Conquer 285m of ascent and descent to take in picture-postcard views over the magnificent North Downs.
11. The Easy Runner Sodbury Slog (95%, 97%, 47 ratings)
Where? Gloucestershire When? November 11
The mud is thick, the hills are steep and the roads are few and far between in this popular multi-terrain caper.
12. Rhayader Round The Lakes 20 (94%, 100%, 29 ratings)
Where? Powys When? March 21
If climbing 800ft over four miles in the first half of this charming Welsh classic doesn’t take your breath away then the spectacular mountain scenery will
13. PUMA Coniston Trail 15K (94%, 94%, 25 ratings)
Where? Cumbria When? October 3
Explore some of the Lake District’s toughest terrain in this slickly-organised trail race.
14. White Horse Half-Marathon (94%, 97%, 36 ratings)
Where? Oxfordshire When? April 5
Longstanding rural half-marathon through the attractive villages of the Vale of the White Horse.
15. Suicide Six (94%, 98%, 33 ratings)
Where? West Midlands When? November 11
Expect bogs, river crossings, hills and prodigious amounts of mud in this popular cross-country caper.
16. Great Weston 5 (94%, 100%, 32 ratings)
Where? Northamptonshire When? May 4
A beguiling mixture of short, sharp climbs, homemade cakes and all the fun of a May Day Fair.
17. Buxton Half-Marathon (93%, 96%, 27 ratings)
Where? Derbyshire When? May 24
Scale the hills of this tough half-marathon and you'll be rewarded with spectacular views over the Peak District.
18. Mad March Pukka 20 (93%, 100%, 34 ratings)
Where? Dorset When? March 1
Resurrected in 2009, this pancake-flat course along quiet country roads proved to be just the ticket for spring marathon training.
19. Forest of Dean Half-Marathon (92%, 99%, 40 ratings)
Where? Gloucestershire When? May 15
Chip-timed off-road number through an Area of Outstanding Beauty.
20. May Hill Massacre 8 (92%, 98%, 29 ratings)
Where? Gloucestershire When? February 1
Steep hills, plentiful mud and an absence of distance markers make for a gruelling woodland challenge in the heart of the Cotswolds.
21. City of Salisbury 10 (92%, 100%, 46 ratings)
Where? Wiltshire When? March 8
Be sure to soak up the views in this ten-mile course set amid Wiltshire’s hills and valleys beside the River Avon.
22. Down Tow Up Flow Half-Marathon (92%, 97%, 46 ratings)
Where? Berkshire When? July 26
Point-to-point fixture along the tranquil Thames towpath, run in alternating directions each year.
23. Trowse 10K (92%, 100%, 28 ratings)
Where? Norfolk When? April 12
Spectator-friendly fixture skirting the shoreline of Whitlingham Broad through this quaint Norfolk village.
24. Leatherhead Fire Station 10K (92%, 100%, 27 ratings)
Where? Surrey When? November 8
Probably the only race to feature a minature steam railway, this 10K also features a stunning autumnal leaf display in its North Downs setting.
25. Zoo Stampede 10K (91%, 100%, 44 ratings)
Where? Bedfordshire When? July 6
Three super-fast laps of Whipsnade Zoo’s parkland paths followed by the chance to explore the zoo at a more leisurely pace with the bonus of free entry.
26. Weald of Kent 10 (91%, 100%, 28 ratings)
Where? Kent When? June 21
Pursue a new PB over this flat, one-lap course amid some of the Weald's finest scenery.
27. Liverpool Santa Dash 5K (91%, 94%, 31 ratings)
Where? Liverpool When? December 6
Join thousands of Santas as they take to the bustling streets of Liverpool city centre for this annual festive event.
28. Yateley 10K Series (91%, 98%, 30 ratings)
Where? Hampshire When? June 3, July 1, August 5
Keep tabs on your progress over the summer with this mid-week series run over quiet rural roads.
29. Poole Festival Of Running 10K (91%, 96%, 28 ratings)
Where? Dorset When? June 7
Popular family-friendly running event with definite PB potential.
30. Harvel 5 (91%, 97%, 35 ratings)
Where? Kent When? June 6
Quirky low-key jaunt through a string of Kent villages, famed for serving beer en route.
31.New Ware 10 (91%, 96%, 26 ratings)
Where? Hertfordshire When? October 11
New for 2009, this chip-timed course explores rural trails and parkland around the town of Ware.
32. Pewsey Vale Half-Marathon (90%, 98%, 25 ratings)
Where? Wiltshire When? August 30
Mysterious crop circles and an infamous post-race cake spread combine to make this tough rural number a roaring success.
33. Milland Valley 13 (90%, 97%, 31 ratings)
Where? West Sussex When? August 2
The perfect opportunity to explore the South Downs National Park over well-kept tracks and quiet lanes.
34. Orpington 10K (90%, 97%, 32 ratings)
Where? Kent When? June 21
Fun for all the family, with a range of children's races plus a beautiful out-and-back multi-terrain route for the grown-ups.
35. Benfleet 15 (90%, 96%, 28 ratings)
Where? Essex When? January 25
The wind is as reliable as the mud in this invigorating fixture across Hadleigh Marsh.
36. Bexhill Seafront Poppy Half-Marathon (90%, 89%, 28 ratings)
Where? East Sussex When? November 8
A charming coastal course and a leisurely lunchtime start makes for a civilised weekend's racing.
37. Pensford 10K (90%, 94%, 26 ratings)
Where? Bristol When? April 26
Hills, hills and more hills make this a testing road race, set in stunning rural Somerset surroundings and with plenty of cake at the finish.
38. Easy Runner Tough Ten (90%, 96%, 27 ratings)
Where? Somerset When? February 22
Here's an event that definitely lives up to its name, offering an unbeatable variety of terrain - beach, road and woodland - and one seriously big hill
39. Stebbing Remembrance 10 (90%, 98%, 46 ratings)
Where? Essex When? November 11
Quiet country lanes, pretty villages and a fast course make for top rural racing.
40. Edwinstowe Christmas 10K (89%, 98%, 26 ratings)
Where? Nottinghamshire When? December 6
Tranquil forest trails are the perfect way to indulge in a little peace and quiet in the thick of the festive season.
41. Coventry Half-Marathon (89%, 98%, 26 ratings)
Where? Coventry When? October 25
A welcoming city-centre route with plenty of spectator support.
42. Surrey Slog Half-Marathon (89%, 98%, 28 ratings)
Where? Surrey When? July 19
Relentless hills make this cross-country half a formidable opponent.
43. Wilmslow Half-Marathon (88%, 96%, 45 ratings)
Where? Cheshire When? March 29
Fast times are there for the taking in this popular Spring half.
44. Eden Project Marathon (88%, 85%, 42 ratings)
Where? Cornwall When? October 11
New challenging multi-terrain course through Eden and its varied rural surrounds.
45. Bungay Black Dog Marathon (and Half-Marathon) (88%, 92%, 31 ratings)
Where? Suffolk When? April 19
Longstanding elliptical route charting between Bungay and Beccles, with a few challenging inclines thrown in for good measure.
46. Fitness First Bournemouth Half-Marathon (88%, 95%, 41 ratings)
Where? Dorset When? April 5
Be part of Dorset's largest running event with this range of distances run beside Bournemouth Pier and the seafront.
47. Standalone 10K (88%, 100%, 47 ratings)
Where? Hertfordshire When? October 4
Runners keep flocking back to this value-for-money fixture, boasting a few gentle inclines, fast downhill finish and generous goody bag
48. Torbay Half-Marathon (88%, 97%, 33 ratings)
Where? Devon When? June 22
Two-lap course along the impressive south coast sea-front with the glistening English Channel as an eye-catching backdrop.
49. Marwell Zoo 10K (88%, 97%, 36 ratings)
Where? Hampshire When? March 22
A host of exotic animals will keeping you and the race’s thousand other runners company – the perfect challenge to pick up your pace.
50. Reedham Ten (88%, 98%, 26 ratings)
Where? Norfolk When? February 1
Circular course taking in a string of quaint villages including Limpenhoe, Freethorpe and Wickhampton before returning to Reedham.