Often passed over in favour of more glamorous fruits, blackcurrants are a great choice if you want to boost your overall health. Here are five reasons to cram more currants into your diet...
- Immune boost: Blackcurrants pack a massive 338% of your recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C per 100g, so pesky illnesses will have a tougher time interrupting your training.
- Heart help: They're a tasty source of potassium, which aids heart function - essential for cardio fiends.
- Water balance: Potassium also helps your system get the right balance of fluids when rehydrating.
- Fight fatigue: With 10% of your iron RDA in 100g of blackcurrants, they can help you ward off fatigue caused by iron deficiency anaemia as well as create extra red blood cells to transport oxygen around your body.
- Aid metabolism: As a good source of manganese, blackcurrants aid the metabolism of fat and carbohydrates to help fuel your runs.