Image: Steve Smailes / The Lincolnite
Event organisers have announced today that the third Lincoln half marathon will not go ahead. The event, scheduled for Sunday 30 September 2018, has been called off.
In a statement issued today, organisers announced the race had been cancelled due to “significant logistical issues, ever increasing costs, clash of events and lower than anticipated entries.”
The 13.1 mile race was due to take place on the Lincolnshire Showground. According to the website, there was five thousand entries available, yet the lack of sign ups in June forced organisers to make their decision.
Ian Hamilton, founder of OSB Events, said: “This is an event we are committed to making a success. We have faced some difficulties, but overall we have loved working in our home county and will greatly miss the people we have enjoyed working with.”
Runners will get a full refund for their entry fee, online fee and any merchandise or charity donations in the next few days. For those who have already started their fundraising, organisers have stated they hope the runners find another event to take part in instead.
Organisers have said they hope to continue organising major events in Lincolnshire in the future.
Runners took to Twitter to share their dismay, one writing: “So upset that the #lincolnhalfmarathon has been cancelled. I’ve been training for it and everything (and before that I hadn’t run in years. Any recommendations for other half marathons that I can do in September/October?”
Another wrote: “Sign up for Lincoln half marathon and two days later it’s cancelled, excellent.”
For those disappointed by this news, why not take a look at these September half marathons in the UK?