This protein packed salad will give you all the recovery you need post-run. Quinoa is your super grain; it’s far more nutritionally rich than most grains with a decent dose of protein, plus it contains anti-inflammatory compounds, so great for your post-workout muscles. Added to the chicken breast, this salad offers 60g of protein a pop. The tomatoes and red pepper provide vitamin C to give your slightly weakened post-run immune system a lift, and the pine nuts contain the good kind of monounsaturated fatty acids to help lower cholesterol. The cinnamon in the dressing also gives your metabolism a kick – bonus.
Quinoa, 1 cup
Chicken breast, 1-2
Sun dried tomatoes
Garlic, 2 cloves
Fresh herbs: coriander, mint, parsley
Ground coriander, 1 tsp
Ground cumin, 1 tsp
Cinnamon, 1 tsp
Honey, 1 tsp
Lemon juice, 1 lemon
- Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions.
- Steam/boil your chicken breast until cooked through.
- Meanwhile slice up your peppers, onion and aubergine and cook on a griddle pan or under the grill with a little olive oil.
- Once the chicken is cooked through add to the pan or grill to slightly brown on each side and absorb the flavours of your veg.
- Finely chop or blend up your fresh herbs - about a handful of each, garlic, spices, olive oi lemon juice and honey.
- Combine all ingredients in your salad bowl along with a decent handful of pine nuts and some roughly chopped sundried tomatoes and thoroughly mix in your dressing.
Options: you can substitute any of the vegetables for whatever you have in the fridge, or add in extras – spinach and avocado make great additions. A crumbling of feta cheese also works very well with this salad.